Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Abs

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Abs

If it isnt one thing its another with this car..its cold here about 20 deg,now when i go over bumps the traction control goes off and abs light goes on..when i start the car back up its fine....what causes this? MY bonneville uset to do it for a sec then go off..dale is mad at me...

Old 01-13-2015, 09:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I would start by taking a good look at the wires coming off the wheel speed sensor, they tend to rot out and could be causing the intermittent problem. Also a lot of moisture will periodically cause them to do this as well.

When my car first started having issues, it was the wires on the passenger side that run up around the frame, they had rotted out and finally gave way, but then would work for a while until I hit a bump or water, ended up buying a new set of wheel speed sensor's off of ebay for $20 bucks and that fixed them until it was time to change the bearings

Last edited by ohara; 01-13-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:47 PM

I gotta agree with ohara I also JUST had an ABS wiring "short" repaired this evening. Have O'reilly's scan it. I know in this area they have a scanner that reads ABS codes. Autozone's scanner did not. They were able to tell me that it was the left speed sensor....which got me in the right area. You can be pretty sure its not a hub....if it was it should be on all the time. I don't think they go bad and then start working again. So you can rule that out. The sensor plug itself could be damaged where it plugs into the hub....but again you can probably see that.

My nephew said the way this wire loom routes itself along the control arm that he has replaced many, many wiring harnesses because of like ohara said they tend to "rot" out or they get exposed through the insulation and short out on the control arm.

Good luck with it and let us know what it turns out to be?

Old 01-15-2015, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member

no oriley's near me... little bit of a ride,does the code stay in to see the issue.?

Old 01-15-2015, 11:07 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Yes the code will stay in the computer for a while, if you lived close by I would let you use my scanner. Sadly the garages will charge you $20 (that's what they charge in my area anyways) to read the codes, also check on craigslist, I know there is a guy in my town that advertises on kijiji that he reads codes for people for $10 with his scanner. None of the auto supply stores in my area will read codes so I went and bought my own when they were on sale cause it is so much easier to know where to start to look with our cars when there is an issue

Old 01-15-2015, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member

I have a friend that owns a garage that has scantool II I have a code reader but that prob wont show up..

Old 01-15-2015, 01:12 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Worth a shot to try, if you do get a code here is a link to what the codes are so you will be able to know which wheel speed sensor is giving you the trouble

OBD-II Check Engine Light Trouble Codes

Old 01-15-2015, 02:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It's rare to find a code reader that will read the ABS codes, if you mean a scangauge 2 it won't read it.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:13 PM

Same thing happened to me about a year ago. Take the car to a mechanic you trust and have them check for shorts in the traction control wiring harnesses. Don't be so convinced it's the ECM or speed sensor right off the bat, as these are really costly fixes, and may not even solve the problem. I know people who have fixed the ECM and speed sensor, and the problem goes away for 3-6 months. Then, the problem comes back again. GM designed these wiring harnesses in such a way that water gets to them easily, causing them to short.

The rewiring only costed me $175 at a local shop.

By the way, the ECM is about $1000 new (don't buy this used) and speed sensors are pricey too. So, I would give the rewiring a shot first...it could save you lots of money and headache!

Last edited by 12cemudd; 01-15-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member

I got a p0171 code again lol.that's the lean bank 1..i got a vacuum leak someplace..the tool he has is like big bucks ..snap on..i emailed him about it...

Quick Reply: Abs