Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Ablond

Old 10-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Unhappy Ablond

I have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS. It is possessed by the devil, as I have written a couple times on this forum. It's still doing its crazy trick of the security system not letting the fuel pump and or ignition turn on. I do the ten minute key on trick..only NOW, it's draining my battery so the car has to be jumped, sometimes even having to wait 10 more minutes with the "jumping" vehicle attached to my battery. This is about to drive me insane. I read somewhere I thought on here, that there is a wire under the driver side dash that can be cut, therefore turning off the security system forever, and stopping the insanity...but I can't remember which wire it was and would like opinions on if this is really a good idea or am I asking for more trouble than someone stealing my car, which at this point, they would probably bring it back to me..lol

Old 10-02-2013, 06:06 PM

I'm actually not sure of the wire, I think you could go to a place that installs alarms and have them put a bypass to avoid the security system, not sure. You would want to figure out whats causing the drain though, I've heard of the hazard switch causing it to happen.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by ndaguanno
I'm actually not sure of the wire, I think you could go to a place that installs alarms and have them put a bypass to avoid the security system, not sure. You would want to figure out whats causing the drain though, I've heard of the hazard switch causing it to happen.
Good idea..thanks..

Old 10-02-2013, 08:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If it was as simple as cutting a single wire, it would not be much of an anti-theft system. If I recall with installing a remote start on the wife's '05 Impala (same basic car), there is a wire you tap into for the security bypass module ndaguanno mentioned.

As for the issue you're having..... I've heard of a problem with the ignition switch (the tumbler you put your key into). I have also heard of one case that the problem was the key itself!! The metal on the key wore out to a point that it could fall out of the ignition at one point, the person had a new key made, no more issues. You really may want to have a shop (like the dealer) who has the tech info about the security system look it over.

As for the battery drain, make certain the car is truly off when you are done and take the key out. II say that since you're having issues with the security system and I've had a couple of vehicles I could take the key out and the vehicle stayed running (the tumbler was worn out and did not require turning it all the way to off to pull the key out, one case, you didn't have to turn the key at all, just pull it out, heck, it didn't even need the key lol).

Next step, I would get a battery/alternator test (done free at the parts store). I just had my battery draining after about 3 days of no use and this went on for a couple years (my Monte is summer only driving). Found it was an illusive alternator. It fooled a lot of tests (failed a test only once, passed all others, changed it when I was getting a bad electrical smell from the alternator).

Search this Thread