Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

'98 Driver's Side Window Stuck

Old 01-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Default '98 Driver's Side Window Stuck

Hey guys,

My window on my '98 Monte LS is stuck in the down position and I can't seem to get it back up. My other window works so I've ruled out fuses.

I've jiggled the window while trying to press the switch and can mange to get it back up about an inch out of the slot, but cannot get it any further. Also, it will still roll back down, just not up.

I did try to take the door panel off to get a better look, but once I got the screws out, the panel wouldn't come off, and I was afraid of breaking the panel, so just left it at that.

If anyone can give me pointers, that'd be great.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:33 PM

More than likely the window motor is shot. When they ware out, your windows will roll down, but not back up, usually. To get the panel off, take all the screws out. Look around the perimeter of the panel to make sure you have them all out. Take the trim panel off from behind the door handle, and take the plastic door lock switch off. Check again for anymore screws.

The acutal panel is held on by a bunch of plastic tabs. Take a large flat screwdriver or go to the parts store and get a door panel removal tool. I would get the panel removal tool. They are usually a two in one tool. One being a big flat section to pop the plastic tabs loose, and the other end has a slot in it, to take the snap ring out for window cranks. Plus, you never know when you have to take a panel off with crank windows. The tool is cheap, around $10.00.

Go around the outside of the panel, and place the tool in between the panel and the door. Gently pry until the tab pops loose. Do this around the whole panel. The panel is also hooked to where the window goes in the door. When you have all the tabs loose, pull the panel away from the door, and push up at the same time. Once you get the panel off, take the plastic vapor barrier off. You should see the motor.

the motor is usually about in the center of the door, with a big electric connector on it. To replace it, use some masking tape, and tape the window in the up position to the door frame. The motor is held in by rivets from the factory, so you will have to drill them out. The new motor comes with little bolts in place of the rivets.

This is a general idea on how to do it. Every car is a little different. If you run into some problems, just post back and we will get you through it. Its not that hard, just takes a little time the first time around.