Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

97' Z34 Plugs/Wires

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Default 97' Z34 Plugs/Wires

I bought my plugs wires and was looking at the motor in the 1997 z34 and was wondering what is the best way to change them. I can get to the three in the front because they are there but the other three kind of lost me in the little bit i had to look so i was going to see if anyone had any tips for me? what i need to take off etc? Tried to route the wires to find em but no luck getting dark. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

You will need to pull the upper intake manifold to get to the plugs. Dont even try to tilt the motor forward, it wont help you at all. Just pop off the black plastic panel that is in between the intake and the valve cover. If I remember right there are 7 bolts holding the intake on, one being a stud with a bracket attached. Remove the bracket by taking the nut off the stud then just remove the stud like the other bolts. You will need to unbolt the TB runner from the intake manifold as well. There are 3 bolts holding it in. One will be difficult to get to so you may need to experiment with wrenches, sockets extentions ect. to find out what is easiest for you. I used a wrench and removed it tiny turns at a time but it was a PITA. Others use extentions and universal joints to get to it. Once the intake is off, you can remove the wires and plugs. You will need a 5/8" deepwell socket. Use the plug socket if possible so the plug comes out with the socket. Tape the socket to a 9" or so extention with duct tape. I kept dropping the socket into the plug tube cause it kept coming off the extention. Take the plugs out. When it comes to gapping the plugs, the .060 gap the emissions sticker said to use didnt work for me. It tripped the SES light and the car would barely run. I had to gap the plugs to .045. It runs real nice at that gap for me. Replace the plugs and the wires and just put it back together opposite how you took it apart. Make sure to replace the intake gasket and the TB runner gasket when you do it. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:51 PM

thanks for the help. one quick question though..i though all plugs come pre gapped?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 PM

i will still check though to make sure.....never gapped plugs before so it will be a first.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:07 PM
Default 97' z34 plugs and wires

Originally Posted by mrl390
You will need to pull the upper intake manifold to get to the plugs. Dont even try to tilt the motor forward, it wont help you at all. Just pop off the black plastic panel that is in between the intake and the valve cover. If I remember right there are 7 bolts holding the intake on, one being a stud with a bracket attached. Remove the bracket by taking the nut off the stud then just remove the stud like the other bolts. You will need to unbolt the TB runner from the intake manifold as well. There are 3 bolts holding it in. One will be difficult to get to so you may need to experiment with wrenches, sockets extentions ect. to find out what is easiest for you. I used a wrench and removed it tiny turns at a time but it was a PITA. Others use extentions and universal joints to get to it. Once the intake is off, you can remove the wires and plugs. You will need a 5/8" deepwell socket. Use the plug socket if possible so the plug comes out with the socket. Tape the socket to a 9" or so extention with duct tape. I kept dropping the socket into the plug tube cause it kept coming off the extention. Take the plugs out. When it comes to gapping the plugs, the .060 gap the emissions sticker said to use didnt work for me. It tripped the SES light and the car would barely run. I had to gap the plugs to .045. It runs real nice at that gap for me. Replace the plugs and the wires and just put it back together opposite how you took it apart. Make sure to replace the intake gasket and the TB runner gasket when you do it. Good luck.
I know it has been a while since you put this on here but thanks it helped big time this part isn't for but for the person who was saying take it to the shop not everyone has money to put it in the shop that's why we need these kind of sites "TO HELP EACH OTHER"