Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

'97 Monte Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 10:08 PM
dub
Default '97 Monte Starting Problem

I have a problem with my 97 Monte LS; I was driving it around today (first day doing pizza delivery, at that). I made four deliveries in intermittent Florida rain and the car was starting and running fine. I stopped at a house to deliver a fresh pie, and when I came back out I started the car but it died (before shifting). Subsequent attempts to start it resulted in nothing happening -- no starter sound, anything. I checked the battery connections and they're fine; the alternator also looks/smells fine. I called a friend who came over to give me a jumpstart, but still nothing.
I thought the problem might be electrical, so I checked the fuse box on the interior passenger side, and all fuses were fine. I checked the engine bay passenger-side fuse box, and none that I could tell were blown. (I'm not sure how to check the main ignition and fan fuses to see if they are blown--the big square ones.) The key turns in the ignition, but the steering wheel is locked, and I can't shift out of park (automatic). Also, el Monte doesn't respond to the keyless remote. Maybe a loose ground somewhere?
The post "98 monte not starting every time" (6/29/2007 by zapp59) sounds similar to my car's condition, except that this is the first time that it has happened and none of my accessories turn on. If anyone has any ideas before a costly drag/tow, they would be greatly appreciated. The pizza customers will appreciate it too.

Thanks,
Dub

Old 07-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Default RE: '97 Monte Starting Problem

no lights or anything come on, correct?
i'd be dead certain about my battery connection before looking else where with zero electrical anything on the car, disconnect completely and reconnect. check battery voltage with and without the battery hooked up to the car. if thats good check for battery voltage at the alternator, then the fuse blocks.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:00 PM
dub

Yeah, no headlights, interior, or dash lights. The only thing remotely electrical that works is the ding when the key is in the ignition. I'll have to try the full disconnection and reconnection of the battery tomorrow morning. I think I read on another post to keep it disconnected for 90 seconds in order to reset the PCM. Is this right?

Old 07-25-2007, 12:02 PM

Short stop and start driving like you would do delivering pizza is murder on the charging system. The starter takes a lot of power from the battery each time you start and if the alternator doesn't have running time to recharge, that battery especially if it has a year or two will die pretty quickly. Have the battery charged and system properly tested.

If it is possible leave it idling when you make deliveries. You could carry the door key with you and lock it if you feel you need to.

IIRC if you disconnect the battery it won't reset the PCM with OBDII.
Be aware if you disconnect the battery you might lock the radio if it is the factory theft loc.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:40 AM
dub

Fortunately, El Monte is working now. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes, reconnected, and it started up fine. I'll just leave it running on deliveries now.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:10 PM
dub

A quick update -- the same thing happened again, so I got the free diagnostic at AutoZone. I bought a new battery which should take care of the problem.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:15 PM

my 97 did exactly the same thing and i did exactly what you're doing and it fixed it for a while, end result was the starter was going bad. so next time it does that have ur starter tested and that will let u know whats goin on

Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah, sounded like a battery to me, i would have the starter and alternator checked out too, because sometimes when the battery goes it takes the alternator with it