Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: 97 monte carlo z34 3400 overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 04:35 AM
Default 97 monte carlo z34 3400 overheating problem

im bleeding the coolant system i think i got all the air bubbles out and when i go to leave town i hit highway speeds and it starts redlining on the heat gauge ive replaced the radiator water pump and thermostat anyways i take it back home let it cool down take off the coolant cap on radiator and have to add 2-3 cups to fill it again reservoir stays full this happens repeatedly and often when i open the bleeder the coolant looks a lil bit milky white which to me suggests blown head gasket any advice dont want to tear the engine apart cant afford to
HELP Desperatly need this vehicle for family

Old 08-24-2016, 05:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Unless you've ran it really hot its not that common to see head gaskets fail. Id be more suspect of intake gaskets as the culprit. If you are loosing coolant and no visual leaks that's a common place to start anyhow. Best way to check is have the system pressure tested. Pull the oil stick out and see if its milky also. Not saying it couldn't be a head gasket but cross your fingers its just intake gaskets. Those aren't to hard to change out or that terrible expensive if a shop does it. Id hate to imagine pulling the heads on a 3.4 dohc engine.
On a side note and ill be the first one to say I don't care for mickey mouse half *** fixes but if really on a tight wallet I have seen the pour in stop leak work miracles. at least to get you by until finances allow. the best stuff ive seen is called bars leak can get it any chain store.
The reason I say that is I bought a Camaro a few years back, noticed it ran warmer than it should. Pulled the cap, the coolant looked like creek water. I figured id flush the system, install a new thermostat and be fine. And it was until I refilled the radiator with new antifreeze and started it up dam antifreeze all around the intake lol. turns out when I flushed the old coolant it also flushed out bars leak. its also brown and what I was seeing when I took the cap off. Couldn't help but laugh but that's how I know it does work ive seen it.
I changed my gaskets and was good to go however.

Last edited by Aerocoupe86; 08-24-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:47 PM

i bought it used when i replace the radiator there was a three inch crack in it so my guess is its been ran really hot at some point so i tried all the pour and go formulas i could find i must have spent a hundred and fifty bucks as a last ditch effort i tried k&w fiberlock with nanotechnology its military tech or so it says to my surpise this stuff really really worked am amazed how well this product worked stuff is green in color and gritty looking but its a damn mirical i tell ya this stuff fixed my car or i was gonna be out a lot of money and the 800 i bought the CAR FOR use it yourself you will see how good this stuff is 35 $ any parts house