Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2003 Monte SS Will Not Start and Security On

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2003 Monte SS Will Not Start and Security On

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2003 Monte Carlo ss with 92,000 miles. It has worked fine for 2 months. The car would not start for me the other day and stranded me at the mall. It had started a few times earlier in the day without any issues. After about 10 minutes, it started but the security light stayed on. I used it later in the day and it was fine, started find and no security message. I thought it was a one time glitch but it happened again today. Stranded at a friends house. Left it for a few hours and still would not start. If key left in the on position, the security light came one. Had the car towed home. After an hour at home, it then started.

I have tried both factory issued keys and don't see a difference with either one.

I want this car to be reliable but cannot trust it at this point.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? The 10 minute reset rule does not seem to be working. I also tried the headlight on 3 times reset without success.

One more issue is that the car had an after market remote start/alarm installed and was told it did not work properly. I do not use it and use the factory remotes instead. I wanted to remove it but not sure all the wires that go into it. Any help on removing it properly would be great full too.

Thank you

Old 08-28-2016, 09:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think you're on the right track with your thinking of the aftermarket remote being the culprit. It bypasses the OEM chip in the ignition lock cylinder of the OEM theft deterrent system. I suggest finding a schematic of the aftermarket remote which I would think would be available on line to find out what was modified and undo it.

Here's some schematics for the factory theft deterent and starting circuit:

Last edited by plumbob; 08-28-2016 at 09:03 AM.