Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

4th Gen ('81-'88): 83 Monte v6 Stuck lifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Default 83 Monte v6 Stuck lifter

Long story short Dont know much about cars but I think I have a stuck lifter and its a seized engine that wont manually turn over so whats the cheapest route to get it running? Can I repair it or is it better to go with a cheap engine swap? I dont care about it being a strong engine. I moved to Idaho from California so I just need to go from Cali to Idaho then just to get me around town and to work until I save up enough for a nicer engine.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:34 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

350's are fairly plentiful and usually reasonably priced. Check your local craigslist. I am sure someone has one. I think the engine swap is the easiest and best way to go.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:03 PM

As about switching it, how long do you think it would take to do and cost for someone thats never done an engine swap or how much cost wise to have someone do it?

Old 07-12-2016, 05:51 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I would really try to find some local shops and get prices because that cost could really vary. Or if you have any friends that are mechanically inclined or who have race cars, that might save you a lot of time and money. I wish I had more specific answers for you. Really, it could take days for someone who has never done it and would have to scramble to have all the tools, engine hoist, garage/driveway space or it can take hours when you get friends together who know what they are doing.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:57 AM

I am pretty certain a stuck lifter shouldn't seize an engine.

Engine swaps for someone who is inexperienced especially 6 to 8 cylinders is a task.

Cost wise you probably would better to swap to 8 cylinder rather repair a seized 6 cylinder but would be a used engine and associated other items to make the swap.

I would first diagnose what is wrong with current motor as a chance it could be something simple.

Being a 1983 unless the car is special to you (I may have missed that) I would think about buying something newer? Not sure of your situation.

Previous advice is right find someone that knows something and establish what is wrong first then you can determine path forward.