Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

77 Monte Carlo Roof....

Old 05-31-2006, 10:57 PM
Default 77 Monte Carlo Roof....

Hey everybody, i was juz wondering if someone could help me out. I just bought a 77 monte carlo with 30,000 original miles, and i am currently trying to restore the car, the interior and exterior is in great condition except for one little problem, that stupid vinyl top [:'(] I had the vinyl taken off the car and the whole back end of the roof *the window frame down to the border of the back trunk where the vinyl was* is completely rusted for the most part, the back end was pretty much crumbling apart, i never really thought about this rust problem before buying the car but im determined to stick through it and restore the car, now my question was how do i go about repairing this piece? Would i have to go to a junkyard and find my model car and cut the whole back end off or would someone normally be able to custom fit the back with sheet metal? Ive looked around a few junkyards so far and it seems its almost impossible to find a 77 monte carlo, i was also curious as to one more thing, if i have to cut the back end piece off, will a 73 - 76 back monte carlo piece fit on my G-body 77 just as well? Because ive found 1 or 2 73 monte carlo back ends at the junkyard in usable condition, the only problem is the back window seems a little different, so im not quite sure if it would be able to be welded on to my 77, but its the same G-Body so it should be able too technically right? I appreciate any help, thanks.

Eric

Old 06-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Default RE: 77 Monte Carlo Roof....

Welcome to the forum!!

Sounds like you've got a pretty cool project car.... Rust is like cancer; the only real way to end the corrosion is to rip out the affected metal. I am no body guy by any stretch of the imagination. How big of an area does the rust cover? This may be the time to consider a ragtop or convertible setup too.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome MonteJass!! Yeah its definatly gonna be a project, i think in the end it will be all worth it though. The rust covers the back canopy for the most part, everything where the vinyl was........the window frame is pretty much eaten up, it looks as though the backwindow was being held only by the vinyl, im actually gonna go tommorow and get an estimate of how much the repair will cost, im sure its gonna be a pretty penny [>:] . I thought about a ragtop or a convertible setup but i havent looked much into it, do you know how much something like that would cost and what would be more managable as far as weather wise and durability?

Old 06-02-2006, 09:43 AM

I thought about a ragtop or a convertible setup but i havent looked much into it, do you know how much something like that would cost and what would be more managable as far as weather wise and durability?

I would not have a clue, but I would bet the cost we be very close to all that body work you have ahead of you.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:26 AM

Hey everybody, i found someone who is going to fix my roof in two weeks!! Cant wait!!! Ill take some pictures and keep you all updated!

Old 06-11-2006, 12:08 PM

Cool, so it was not all that bad I guess!!!

What's the damage?? $$$