Interior/Audio/Visual Electronics Discuss your audio/visual system and your interior here.

6th Generation: Stock radio replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 6th Generation: Stock radio replacement trouble

Hey all, first time posting. Found my way over here from some youtube links posed by trewyn15.

I finally decided to replace my stock radio. Pulled the dash, setup my Pioneer radio with GMOS-100 attachment so i keep the factory chimes and onStar. Quite sure i was able to wire everything correctly, followed the guides, called tech support for 1-2 questions, whose answers were not to do anything with the wires.

I have premium sound on my 2004 SS monte carlo, the techs said it was amplified so i set it up that way.

So once i hooked up the new Pioneer AVH-P3400BH, i get radio (mostly from rear speakers), door chime works when door is ajar, so left front works, radio gets power i can change stations. Everything looks good, save for the fact i need to map the steering wheel controls.

However, now that the original radio is out I have 3 issues now.

1) Security pops up on the message center (obviously radio removals would do that)

2) The battery symbol pops up and stays up on the message center as well

3) The check engine light is on and stays on.

It seems odd these messages would all appear at once. Thus they are related to my radio replacement. #2 and #3 worry me, hate to drain my battery or screw up my engine or electrical system somehow. Not sure if this is normal and i just need to visit the dealership for them to turn those warnings off.

Hopefully by doing it myself and not having people at Bestbuy or my dealership install the radio will not cost me an expensive visit. any advice is useful, this was also the first time I have played around with my radio.

Good news is repairing my broken stepper motors on my odometer went well and was quite easy to do. This not so much it seems.

Edit: Replaced the aftermarket radio with the stock, doesn't do anything for the warnings or check engine light. I am assuming the car CPU knows i removed the radio

Last edited by xpage; 11-12-2012 at 01:25 PM.