Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: 5th Fifth gen Rear disc brakes

Old 04-27-2017, 09:47 PM
1 Year Member
Default 5th Fifth gen Rear disc brakes

Heard my rear wheels squeak again after several months. I was driving in city traffic and heard them while turning in a parking lot.I replaced my shocks a week before and looked at pads and they were fine. I replaced calipers approximate 3 or 4 times before with A/Z parts. Ive also replaced the rubber lines a year ago. Im not a mechanic but I am mechanically inclined especially with the help of my board bros on here! I have never been satisfied with the braking on this car. Does anyone have any ideas? Madter cylinder or modulator valve maybe?

Old 04-28-2017, 08:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

You may need to try for larger rotors and Caliper set up,something like the new Camaro's have. But then you may need to go to a bigger wheel size also.
Usually the calipers are something that you change after 75k and or 10 years. This depends on the environment you need to drive in.
I have had cars that I had well over 100K and the service tech said my brakes looked like they were hardly used, but that was because I drove mostly Highway miles and I just don't brake that often unless it's in town traffic.
Maybe you would want to try ceramic pads, and a heavier duty caliper. good Luck

Old 04-28-2017, 05:02 PM
1 Year Member

I do appriciate your suggestion. That is an idea. In 2 years i habe replaced the rears 3 or 4 times before. I also drive alot of hiway miles. Do you know if the camaro calipers are a direct fit or not. I can find plenty of complaints about the brakes online but nothing about how anyone fixed them. I have also suched this forum and didnt turn up anything. I have hybrid brake pads on all 4. Just out of curiosity,is it normal on the 5th gens pads to squeak after city driving. I am a lil hard on the brakes.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by jeepshane
I do appriciate your suggestion. That is an idea. In 2 years i habe replaced the rears 3 or 4 times before. I also drive alot of hiway miles. Do you know if the camaro calipers are a direct fit or not. I can find plenty of complaints about the brakes online but nothing about how anyone fixed them. I have also suched this forum and didnt turn up anything. I have hybrid brake pads on all 4. Just out of curiosity,is it normal on the 5th gens pads to squeak after city driving. I am a lil hard on the brakes.
the Camaro style Calipers & Rotors are fairly large. The may be a bolt pattern change. Squeaky brakes are fairly common problem there is a special pad lube you put on the reverse side of the pads that will reduce the squeak some also the Ceramic pads will help. I have an 06 SUV and the brakes squeak on it. I think it is a moisture thing, the rotors get damp, a little rust forms and you get the noise. I have solved it temporarily just by riding the brakes a little.
Here is a little story about brakes. In 2008 my son graduated from College and move to Phoenix, AZ.
So we moved him down there and his fiancé went along from Flagstaff to Phoenix is a down hill run, most of the way 6% grade at the least.
So I was driving his Penske truck & trailer with his Monte on it all the way, his fiancé and my wife followed us. When we arrived at their new apartment his fiancé told me something was wrong with the Brake lights on the Truck?
So we checked them and they worked. She said well they never came on once down the mountain? I said yeah I never used the brakes at all. She was shocked. ha
Then they went back up to Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon, on the way home driving his Monte, my son didn't drive like I did and he ended up warping the rotors.
You can research Monte Carlo brakes on youtube I have seen a lot of videos about Monte repairs there. Just google it and see what comes up. As far as the Camaro brakes I drove a 2010 Camaro Transformer edition and when I came down on the interstate Ramp I was at $1.25 and some change. That would be a big fine I was trying to avoid a Semi truck. Once ahead of the truck I just touched the brakes and dropped to the limit in an instant.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by jeepshane
I replaced calipers approximate 3 or 4 times before with A/Z parts.
What have you replaced 3 or 4 times in the rear? I can't even imagine going though 4 sets of rear pads in the lifetime of the car with how heavy front biased they are.

I have never been satisfied with the braking on this car. Does anyone have any ideas? Madter cylinder or modulator valve maybe?
What specifically are you not satisfied with? Not enough bite, don't last long enough, too loud, fade too quickly? There are solutions for each, but it depends what you're not happy with.

In general, the fix for most things is getting a set of pads that matches how you use the car.

As far as camaro calipers, they do not bolt up. The 5th gen monte is an in between generation of w body cars. The 6th gen montes are a full 2nd Gen and can use camaro calipers up front with some minor tweaks. Further they can use a ctsv caliper with a mustang 14" rotor up front for a serious track upgrade.

However on the 5th gen, the bolt spacing for the caliper doesn't match up. The only ways I can see to do it are:
-Convert to 2nd Gen wbody front suspension (extremely involved)
-Cut off the welds for the caliper mount on the knuckle and have one made up with the correct spacing. This would be cheap, but poses a safety concern if it's not properly welded back on.
-Find calipers with the right bolt spacing or have some adapters made up. Neither would be an easy route.

But before you go that extreme, id definitely consider getting some different pads first.
​​​​​

Search this Thread