Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5 Auto Maintenance Procedures You Don't Need

Old 12-15-2009, 05:43 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question 5 Auto Maintenance Procedures You Don't Need

5 Auto Maintenance Procedures You Don't Need ? ?

Save your money and skip 'em

Posted: Dec, 14 2009

P.T. Barnum said “There’s a sucker born every minute,” before the dawn of mass-produced automobiles, but peddlers of bogus mileage-enhancers and proponents of unnecessary auto maintenance procedures are carrying on Barnum’s tradition. Everything from magnets to vortex generators to water injectors and useless “ectoplasm traps” are hawked in the marketplace, and unnecessary tune-up processes can further bleed consumers’ wallets. The best defense is to read your owner’s manual and bone up on your car’s needs, but in the meantime, here’s a 5-point list of dubious or unneeded engine-enhancing procedures.
Engine Flushes ($100-$200)

An engine flush uses a machine and chemicals to rid your engine’s innards of sludge, but it’s not a normal maintenance checkpoint unless you’ve neglected your engine. We checked in with Tom Torbjornsen, maintenance editor at AOL Autos for his perspective.
“Change your oil according to manufacturer’s recommendations and you won’t need an engine flush,” Torbjornsen said.
An examination into your oil-filler lid will reveal deposits and gunk.
“Sometimes, if you’ve got an engine with high mileage and deposits, a flush will break loose sludge that can get into the engine," he said. "It’s really not necessary today if you’ve otherwise taken good care of your car.”
Fuel-Injection Cleaning ($125-$200)

“If your Check Engine light isn’t on and your car’s running fine,” Popular Mechanics's Mike Allen said. His team of testers have debunked dozens of phony gadgets. “Skip this.”
Torbjornsen agrees.
“An upper engine carbon cleaning is a good thing to have every 35,000 miles because of varnish deposits," Torbjornsen said. "When fuel injectors get dirty and deposits build up, you get poor fuel economy. But not every year. Once a year is overkill.”
Oil Additives ($5 AND UP)

There are numerous oil additives on the market ranging from products designed to reduce friction and bolster fuel economy to those whose manufacturers claim their product will allow you to run your engine dry of oil without damaging bearings. Steer clear of all.
“Oil additives are designed to fortify and bolster the engine,” Torbjornsen said. “But if you’re following normal maintenance producers, you don’t need it. In the testimonials you’ll find on websites selling this stuff, people say they can drive without oil because of some magic elixir. But a real-world tester always fails.”
Gas Savers ($10-$400)

Some of the pseudo-scientific gas savers on the market just plain don’t work and may actually hurt engine performance, says Torbjornsen. The E.P.A. has tested over 100, from pills you pop into your tank to “cow magnets,” and none have proven effective.
“Some of these products claim to ‘polarize the molecules in the vortex',” he said. “It’s all garbage.”
Long-Life Aantifreeze ($4-$8 Per Quart)

There isn’t any evidence that “long life” antifreeze is any better for your radiator than standard antifreeze, and you shouldn’t assume that because you’ve bought and used it, you can ignore maintaining your radiator, says Torbjornsen.
“I recommend a 2-year, 24,000 mile flush regardless of what kind of antifreeze is in your radiator,” he said.
“Especially if you live in a wintery climate.”
And don’t mix coolants, either, says Allen.
“That’s asking for trouble, especially if your car’s engineered for a specific type of anti-freeze."
Read More
- If You Leave Your Gas Cap Off, Will It Harm Your Car?
- When Having Your Car "totaled" Might Be a Good Thing

`MCF Member's Do you agree/dis-agree ?
Post your comments/thoughts `ok

Old 12-15-2009, 09:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I totally agree with it.

Maintain the car, change the fluids regularly, and there is ZERO need for oil additives, and all that crap.

He's also right in saying fuel injection service is not needed once a year...that bull. Every 35K even seems like a lot to me. I have never done it on my Monte, I was planning on doing my first fuel injection service at 100K.

I think he is spot on with all the fuel saving crap, if it worked, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Etc. would all be using them, and vehicles would come factory equipped with the stuff. All these car makers NEED certain EPA numbers, and if some of these "simple" things gave such great gains, the manufactures would use them.

I also totally agree with the coolant stuff. I think only changing your coolant every 5 year or 150,000 miles is bull. It needs to be changed more often than that, or you are asking for problems. I personally think every 24K is overkill, but certainly every 30-50K (depending on driving habbits, I personally go for every 50K because that about every year and a half for me).

Old 12-15-2009, 10:21 AM

So I guess I was good going with the change of headlight fluid and rotating the air in the tires then, right??? Jiffy Lube wouldn't steer me wrong would they ?

Old 12-15-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by JAFO
So I guess I was good going with the change of headlight fluid and rotating the air in the tires then, right??? Jiffy Lube wouldn't steer me wrong would they ?

LOL `Brian, that's funny LOL
Thanks

`Michael, thanks for your post/input.
I think it was a decent `true article/advise
4-Sure

Old 12-15-2009, 05:53 PM

hahaha, yep that's right.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by JAFO
they did forget to grease ur electronic muffler bearing and change the fluid in ur turbo encabulator...

Old 12-16-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by kweef
they did forget to grease ur electronic muffler bearing and change the fluid in ur turbo encabulator...
Muffler bearings are on back order, not sure if they even LOOKED at my encabulator... Have to check when the bearings arrive. They did say my flux capisiter needed re-fluxing

Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 PM

you have a flux capasiter to so you can go threw tim in your monty as well sweet lol.
my rule of thumb is about 45k to 50 k for the radiator fluid about every 50k for trans flush just dont want anouther tranny to fail like the silverado did when i got it. 55k for the spark plugs going to 100k for a tune up is asking the plugs to sease on and have to tap them out had to do that on the truck o mine. dont want to push it. engine oil2,500 to 3k miles just want to make sure my car stays pretty clean in the oily areas. did the injector clean and plan on doing it every two to three years not every year thats over kill.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:52 PM

oh i meant go threw time which is cool. not a guy named tim that would be disturbing

Old 12-16-2009, 11:07 PM

lol hey whatever floats ur boat