Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

350 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 07:06 PM

First, i hope your wife is ok...second, lets get rid of that holley thats on there and put a rochester or edelbrock on there...i have always hated holleys because the accel pumps always had problems or blow out...if you decide to keep the holley on there, lets check fuel pressure...if i remember right you should have about 7-9 psi...if thats ok, make sure the needle and seats, and floats are working in the carb...lets start there and go from there...again, i hope your wife is ok

Old 01-17-2014, 07:08 PM

I would try another fuel pump

Old 01-17-2014, 07:14 PM

He may need one,, but lets check psi going to the carb first...it could be a carb problem..the fuel pumps, however are very cheap...i also know that SOMETIMES the fuel pump rod that rides on the cam wear out too...make sure you get the corect pump...some of the newer (80's) pumps had three nipples on them..the third of course being a fuel return nipple

Old 01-17-2014, 07:18 PM

X2 on the pushrod.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by djhixter
He may need one,, but lets check psi going to the carb first...it could be a carb problem..the fuel pumps, however are very cheap...i also know that SOMETIMES the fuel pump rod that rides on the cam wear out too...make sure you get the corect pump...some of the newer (80's) pumps had three nipples on them..the third of course being a fuel return nipple

He did say the carb worked on his friends truck...

He died also say he had the carb apart and was changing out the jets.
Its possible the other reason for not getting fuel would be that theres no vacuum enough to have constant draw for fuel...I had originally mentioned to check for fuel flow. clogs etc.. I'd be curious now..If in fact he had to instahl a fuel pump in the motor once it was installed in the car?
Its quite possible the fuel pump rod is in a bind? or was installed improperly.

I too hope all is well with your Mrs.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 PM

shes ok just pregant had to go for a check up that ended up being a all day thing. how would i go about checking the fuel pressure going to the carb. i know its not getting clogged or anything i took it apart and cleaned the hell out of it. i didnt change any jets i just cleaned the ones that were in it and was making sure they wouldnt be to big. and as for the fuel pump it was already on it when i bought it. if its not snowing tomorrow imma change the carb gasket and hopefully get somewheres. i need to invest into a timing light but with the child on the way my hot rod fund has been cut to almost nothing for now.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:21 PM

To b honest a timing lite is a waste of $ on an old 350. Even brand new timing wit a lite could b up to 12* off due to allowed tolerances. One way to make sure its pumping is to pull the fuel linw off the carb, put it in a bowl and crak the engine.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by l67ss
To b honest a timing lite is a waste of $ on an old 350. Even brand new timing wit a lite could b up to 12* off due to allowed tolerances. One way to make sure its pumping is to pull the fuel linw off the carb, put it in a bowl and crak the engine.
Ifyou get a strong push(flow) of fuel... then the pumps not the issue...

If it trickles out..then I would say a bad fuel pump...

Maybe the inlet filter in the carb is plugged...???
Did you take and check the carb inlet filter in the carb? (where the fuel line hooks up to the carb.)

Old 01-17-2014, 10:58 PM

Thanks for finishing that for me.
Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Ifyou get a strong push(flow) of fuel... then the pumps not the issue...

If it trickles out..then I would say a bad fuel pump...

Maybe the inlet filter in the carb is plugged...???
Did you take and check the carb inlet filter in the carb? (where the fuel line hooks up to the carb.)

Old 01-18-2014, 06:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by davidkouns383
...the carb has never back fired i wouldnt think it sprays gas out of the top of it but it isnt on fire and it hasnt back fired through the exhaust either.

If you have fuel spraying out the top of the carb either your needle & seat assembly is leaking, the float is stuck or the fuel pump is providing too much pressure and not allowing the needle to seat at the fuel inlet.

Did the car originally come fuel injected? If so you'll need to put a pressure regulator inline to reduce pressure. Since you did mention disassembly/reassembly of the carb though I'd be checking the needle/seat assembly and the float for proper operation. Either that or your timing is way off.

Quick Reply: 350 wont start