Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

350 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:38 PM
Default 350 wont start

ok i bought a 85 ss off of one of my friends for 550. when he got the car it was running and he pulled the motor and trans out and swapped it out with a different combo. its got a 350 with a th350 now but its in rough shape and im having some problems getting it going. my main set back is budget. but anyways i cant get it to run. i put a distributor and plug wires on it. the plugs really need changed. im going to change them tomorrow. i borrowed a good carb off of my cousins truck and it worked just fine on his truck. i got the car to start once and it ran for about 10 sec and then died. it took alot of trying to get it to start then i had to adjust the distibutor and pump the gas and once it started i had to keep pumping it to keep it running. im pretty sure i set it in time right ive done it before but it has been awhile. ive got a 650 double pumper i have to rebuild thats going on it soon.if anyone has any suggestions please let me know thank you all

Old 01-16-2014, 07:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

David,
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you may have a few issues going on here...

What kind/style of distributor did you use? was it an HEI or does it have points and a condenser? (Are they set correctly) You cant always take a carb from one vehicle and expect it to work perfectly on another one.. (It just doesn't work that way) Is the fireing order set correctly? It should be... 18436572...You may have gas fouled the plugs.. (maybe the 650 is to big for your motor) Does it stay running after you let off the key? Or does it die? If its dieing, quite possibly you could have a bad bendix on the starter (Common chevy no start issue)... Does it hold a charge overnite?

I suspect theres a vacuum leak somewhere for starters... That's the reason for all the pumping of the throttle. Did you put new gaskets under the carb? Or did you use the old ones? Do they even match up to your manifold? Are all the vacuum lines hooked up correctly. are there any external vacuum ports that aren't being used plugged? No/low Vacuum equals no gas flow thru the carb.

Does it have the proper fuel pressure? Is the fuel filter clogged? Have you considered re adjusting the idle screws? Maybe its not getting enough fuel or to much causeing a flooding problem. Are the float levels set correctly?

I would start with opening the idle mix screws a quarter turn at a time for starters. See if that helps...
Then try and start it... Have you looked into the carb to see what kind of pump shot you get when you open the throttle plates? Maybe a throttle plate is rubbing on the gasket causeing a loss of vacuum as well thus not allowing it to idle properly.

R u sure you have the timeing set correctly?
Does the distributor turn counter clock wise or clockwise? Did you bring the number 1 piston up to TDC? and is the rotor pointing at number 1 ion the distributor? 1 tooth off either way will make it not run... Are you sure that motor is a sound running motor? Is there gas in the oil? pull the dip stick check the oil level..is it overfull? and smell it. If you smell gas..change the oil and the filter immediately! It may have flattened/collapsed the lifters!

I think this should help you to figure out what maybe going on with a no start/run issues..

Maybe someone else will chime in with more ideas.
Good Luck!
Besure to let us know when you get it to run and what you did to fix it!
Thanks...

Old 01-16-2014, 01:03 PM

it has a hei distributor and im almost positive its in time ive checked it several times and it points striaght at the number one cylinder when it at tdc. then installed the cap with the number one plug wire right where the rotor button is pointing. i understand that u cant just swap carbs like that but i was hoping it would be close enough to get it to run for longer than ten secs at a time so i know i didnt get ripped off any more than i already have because it was supposed to have a good motor and trans and everything just needed hooked. but turns out there is already trans problems and id just be really pissed off if something is wrong with the motor. and as for the gasket under the carb i reused the one i had. it appeared to be in good condition but it very well could be leaking i cant keep it running long enough to check anything. for the starter bendix being bad i dont think it is. the starter engages and disengages everytime i try to start it but like i said the car hasnt ran long enough to charge the battery back up so ive been jumping it off of my truck. and finally ill just have to wait until i rebuild my carb cause my cousin is funny about me adjusting the carb he says its dialed in on his truck that i shouldnt mess with the adjustment thanks for the suggestions

Old 01-16-2014, 01:09 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by davidkouns383
it has a hei distributor and im almost positive its in time ive checked it several times and it points striaght at the number one cylinder when it at tdc. then installed the cap with the number one plug wire right where the rotor button is pointing. i understand that u cant just swap carbs like that but i was hoping it would be close enough to get it to run for longer than ten secs at a time so i know i didnt get ripped off any more than i already have because it was supposed to have a good motor and trans and everything just needed hooked. but turns out there is already trans problems and id just be really pissed off if something is wrong with the motor. and as for the gasket under the carb i reused the one i had. it appeared to be in good condition but it very well could be leaking i cant keep it running long enough to check anything. for the starter bendix being bad i dont think it is. the starter engages and disengages everytime i try to start it but like i said the car hasnt ran long enough to charge the battery back up so ive been jumping it off of my truck. and finally ill just have to wait until i rebuild my carb cause my cousin is funny about me adjusting the carb he says its dialed in on his truck that i shouldnt mess with the adjustment thanks for the suggestions
Does it stay running after you let off the key? Is that the 10 secs your talking about?

Old 01-16-2014, 06:30 PM

yea itll stay running after i let off of the key but i have to pump the gas to get it to stay running if i stop pumping it dies. i did take the holley apart earlier and cleaned it it has 67 primary jets and 73 secondary jets in it do u think that will be to much for a stock 350 bottom end an unknown cam and double hump heads and i think its a weiland pro action plus intake

Old 01-17-2014, 07:52 AM

5 Year Member

I think 65 jets primary would be a good starting point...

I'm still concerned about all the pumping of the throttle...

I'm still leaning towards a vacuum leak... I would make sure the gaskets match up for openers when you remount the carb. DONT re use the old ones.. There's definitely a vac leak somewhere in the system... I would hope.. That it will disappear with the new gaskets. Does the carb bolt on directly to the Manifold? Or are you using an adapter plate? If your using an adapter plate... BE SURE to get new gaskets for it as well!

I'd like to see some pictures of the carb setup.. If at all possible.

Is the battery any good? Youll need a minimum of 12 volts constant ... I would throw a charger on it and see if it will charge up.
I would also have the alternator checked to be sure its strong enough to maintain a charge as well as allow the motor to run with it charging...
Is the alternator hooked up correctly? Do you have a good clean connection form the battery posts and cables?

Instead of jumping it...
Have you considered just swapping out the battery for a good one?
Maybe use the battery from the vehicle your jumping it with?

Last edited by STUMPMI; 01-17-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by davidkouns383
yea itll stay running after i let off of the key but i have to pump the gas to get it to stay running if i stop pumping it dies. i did take the holley apart earlier and cleaned it it has 67 primary jets and 73 secondary jets in it do u think that will be to much for a stock 350 bottom end an unknown cam and double hump heads and i think its a weiland pro action plus intake
It sounds to me like you have a fuel delivery problem. It could be a plugged fuel filter, a pinch/crimp in the fuel line or low fuel pressure.

If your end goal is a street machine then by all means do not put that 650 double pumper on it. On the street the only thing it's gonna do is suck fuel. You'd be much better off with a vacuum secondary carb. After tuning it to the engine (jetting/air bleeds/cam lobe shape & duration/secondary spring tension) it will out perform that double pumper using less fuel.

Did you put a timing light on it and advance the timing by rotating the base of the distributor? If the distributor was dropped in with the rotor pointing directly at the #1 tower but the distributor base wasn't rotated then your timing is retarded. If you haven't yet, put a timing light on it. Keep in mind that the timing specs listed in manuals is a starting point. All engines are different meaning some will run their best with slightly more initial advance, while others with a little less advance.

Both the above mentioned will result in the symptoms you're indicating.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 01-17-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:16 AM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
It sounds to me like you have a fuel delivery problem. It could be a plugged fuel filter, a pinch/crimp in the fuel line or low fuel pressure.

If your end goal is a street machine then by all means do not put that 650 double pumper on it. On the street the only thing it's gonna do is suck fuel. You'd be much better off with a vacuum secondary carb. After tuning it to the engine (jetting/air bleeds/cam lobe shape & duration/secondary spring tension) it will out perform that double pumper using less fuel.

Did you put a timing light on it and advance the timing by rotating the base of the distributor? If the distributor was dropped in with the rotor pointing directly at the #1 tower but the distributor base wasn't rotated then your timing is retarded. If you haven't yet, put a timing light on it. Keep in mind that the timing specs listed in manuals is a starting point. All engines are different meaning some will run their best with slightly more initial advance, while others with a little less advance.

Both the above mentioned will result in the symptoms you're indicating.
Great advise Mike!
I believe he said its a 383 stroker motor... and in his previous post he has no idea what cam is in it... I believe his goal right now is just to get it running.
I am curious if he's getting any backfire? that would also be good indicator of timing if he doesn't have a light..If its thru the carb its to far advanced and if its backfireing out of the exhaust its retarded timing.

Of course with a Holley... if it backfires thru the carb it will blow out the power valve....

Maybe the power valve is now blown out? or to small a power valve?

Old 01-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If he's had a backfire through the carb since installing it then there is a possibility it ruptured. The accelerator pump may have been damaged also.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:21 PM

i did not get the chance to fool with it today i spent the day at the hospital with my wife but i can answer a few questions its a standard bore 350 and i dont know what size cam. the 383 is going in another monte carlo build im doing its alot farther from done. and as far as running a vacuum secondary i dont own one so im just going with what ive got for now. the carb has never back fired i wouldnt think it sprays gas out of the top of it but it isnt on fire and it hasnt back fired through the exhaust either. the carb does bolt onto the intake with no problems i will get a new gasket and try that tomorrow. the battery i know is good ive been taking the battery out of my work car which gets droven daily. im jumping it because after all of the cranking it runs it down to where it wont start the car. i dont own a timing light but i think i have a buddy that does i will get ahold of him and try to borrow it.

Quick Reply: 350 wont start