Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

3 stupid questions, GAS CAP, O2 senser, Defroster

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just post the codes, hopefully I can look in some of my books and give you some 3800 specific problems and fixes.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 PM

if theirs a drop in pressure while the computer is checking, it sets off the alarm, i did it once by putting my cap on loose. i honestly wouldn't trust them, ive never had a machanic tell me "tons of other things could be wrong" I'd leave in an instant if one did.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:14 PM

ive never had a machanic tell me "tons of other things could be wrong" I'd leave in an instant if one did.
I'm guessing that it wasn't a mechanic that said that, but an autozone employee.
When you get the codes scanned at autozone, it will also bring up a bunch of troubleshooting tips. Since the OBD2 codes are mostly universal, it's going to bring up common issues that set that code on every vehicle produced after 1996.
I'm honestly not sure if the autozone computers will even give troubleshooting tips for manufacturer/vehicle specific OBD2 codes.
This is why it's better to have the actual codes. It's much easier to narrow down problems on a specific vehicle knowing the actual codes for that car versus some general troubleshooting tips for every car produced over the last 15 years.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default codes ???

Hello guys, I'm still looking for the printout of the "CODES" he gave me. I'm racking my brain trying to find them. I should just go to a different AUTO ZONE and get them again. Like I said before, I'm NOT cheap and will buy the parts needed, BUT I am not going to start buying parts till my light goes out. Thats just stupid and the DUDE behind the counter actually said "SO, What would you like to start with" WHAT !!! I said, do I really look brain dead? I still have a pulse and can fog a mirror when I breath. SO NO I am not just going to start to "BUY PARTS" until the light goes out. Then I told him, then would you take back all the parts I DIDN'T need..... "NO, Because they were used" Well, Napa carries the same parts... I'm going to change both O2 sensors and the cap (but I don't even know the numbers or what both are called, front n back? lol) So , YES I'M trying to find the codes still and WILL post them ASAP...... thanks guys, NOW IF we could just nail down the mystery on the rear defroster, I'm set...OH and the heater on my seat, but Ive read on here what to do and look for so thats an easy one...... thanks again....Michael....

OH BTW, What repair Manual do you guys find to be the BEST out there? I'm thinking of getting the ONLINE (Ebay) DVD from GM for $18.00, any suggestions? ty...MJ

Old 01-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Any autozone can scan the codes that you're throwing and print them out for you. It's free and takes all of a minute.
I wouldn't just start throwing parts at a problem either, but without knowing what the codes actually are, nobody else is going to be able to help you.

As far as the repair manuals, the factory service manuals are great but expensive and huge.
An alldata diy subscription is cheap, but also requires computer access to use.
Not sure about dvd's from ebay, and I'm not sure that I'd trust them either. They may just be the same data from alldata, but who knows.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:21 AM

15 Year Member

I got the GM Factory Repair manuals off of ebay for $15

3 HUGE books, with detailed diagrams for almost everything.

I also got a Haynes manual because they simplify some things a little better and are easier to look through for something simple.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

My father has shop manuals for some of the vehicles he's wanted to keep "long term" and MAN, they do pay off!! The '94 Grand AM Shop Manuals we've used like crazy (my sister used to have one that was originally my step-mom's car, my wife and I have one, well, my wife's just sold and we've used to book for reference to help with other Grand Ams and even non-grands ams but same or similar drive trains).

Old 12-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Default rear window defrost!

My radio siglne is poor when I turn rear window defrost on!!!! any ideas there?
Originally Posted by MJClemm
Hello guys, I'm still looking for the printout of the "CODES" he gave me. I'm racking my brain trying to find them. I should just go to a different AUTO ZONE and get them again. Like I said before, I'm NOT cheap and will buy the parts needed, BUT I am not going to start buying parts till my light goes out. Thats just stupid and the DUDE behind the counter actually said "SO, What would you like to start with" WHAT !!! I said, do I really look brain dead? I still have a pulse and can fog a mirror when I breath. SO NO I am not just going to start to "BUY PARTS" until the light goes out. Then I told him, then would you take back all the parts I DIDN'T need..... "NO, Because they were used" Well, Napa carries the same parts... I'm going to change both O2 sensors and the cap (but I don't even know the numbers or what both are called, front n back? lol) So , YES I'M trying to find the codes still and WILL post them ASAP...... thanks guys, NOW IF we could just nail down the mystery on the rear defroster, I'm set...OH and the heater on my seat, but Ive read on here what to do and look for so thats an easy one...... thanks again....Michael....

OH BTW, What repair Manual do you guys find to be the BEST out there? I'm thinking of getting the ONLINE (Ebay) DVD from GM for $18.00, any suggestions? ty...MJ

Old 12-05-2011, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by villige1
My radio siglne is poor when I turn rear window defrost on!!!! any ideas there?
I have no clue, I think the radio ant is in the front windshield?? But it may be a short in your wire harness, but you might want to wait for someone that knows what they are talking bout.. Thanks.. Mjc..

Old 12-05-2011, 08:39 AM

15 Year Member

The antenna is in the rear window, it's a pretty common problem with interference.

Quick Reply: 3 stupid questions, GAS CAP, O2 senser, Defroster