Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

3 problems with this UIM/LIM gasket replacement..

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 3 problems with this UIM/LIM gasket replacement..

1. So it seems most of this gasket is Hercules glued to the bottom of the supercharger and the force its taking to scrape off, im worried is going to damage the mating surface..

Is this normal? What should I do to take it off.. Most of the gasket is just chipping away but where the gasket is actually needed to (where it was pressed between the UIM and LIM, is just like cement..

2. What do you make of this.. The hole on the bottom of the supercharger that correlates with the PCV valve.. Look close..

3. This one really concerns me.. Testing all the pulleys I was spinning the superchager pulley and ever spin it would (click, knock, whatever) and one of the rotations it totally stopped and felt like something tightened.. Actually took a bit of force to spin it back the other way.. However after this, that click/knock sound went away.. This was while the SC was off the car mind you..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1507422373215.jpg (13.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by wht02monte; 10-08-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:16 AM

The click when you turned the supercharger is probably the plastic coupler, these are easy to change and Dorman makes a replacement that uses thicker plastic. When changing this you should also replace the supercharger oil. Not sure on the gasket but you might try soaking it with lacquer thinner or similar solvent.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:13 PM

Or you can try this... Never needed to try it myself. https://www.walmart.com/ip/16OZ-GASK...&wl13=&veh=sem

Old 10-09-2017, 08:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I have used a razor blade and typically that has done the trick. If it leaves small pieces, another trick is I have used what looks like a scotchbrite pad you can use on a drill, just don't go crazy with it (as you want to take the gasket away and not the aluminum material).

Old 10-10-2017, 08:00 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by DAVESS2002
The click when you turned the supercharger is probably the plastic coupler, these are easy to change and Dorman makes a replacement that uses thicker plastic. When changing this you should also replace the supercharger oil. Not sure on the gasket but you might try soaking it with lacquer thinner or similar solvent.
Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I have used a razor blade and typically that has done the trick. If it leaves small pieces, another trick is I have used what looks like a scotchbrite pad you can use on a drill, just don't go crazy with it (as you want to take the gasket away and not the aluminum material).
Ok so razor blade took care of it.. Took good care of my fingers in the process as well..

Oh well, thanks for all the help glad all this was taken care of before any serious problems came about..

Old 10-10-2017, 03:57 PM

Glad you got the gasket off. You also may want to get this before you put the supercharger back on... good price since it has the correct supercharger oil and coupler, plus a way to remove the oil from the housing and sealer. ZZPerformance Eaton GM Ford OEM Supercharger Coupler Repair Kit Combo w/2 GM oil | eBay