Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): 2006 SS doesn't start sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 11:23 AM
Default 2006 SS doesn't start sometimes

Hello. I have a 2006 monte carlo ss with 144k miles on it. About a year ago I tried to put in an aftermarket cold air intake(cold air inductions). I tried to look up videos, but there weren't any on the specific intake. I then, took it to a dealership. Ever since then, my monte has acted up a bit. It started with minor problems (which I took to the dealership for) and tried to get it fixed. Well I took it to the Chevy dealership, because every time I would give it a lot of gas, the car would just die. They decided to put a new computer in it. I drove it and it worked fine. But when I took it for a ride later that day, whenever I tried to start it, it wouldn't start. It would crank forever until I turned it off. The weird thing is when I cranked it again right after the first time, it would start right away(This only happens sometimes, doesn't matter if vehicle is warm or cold). I took it back to the dealership and they decided to put a new fuel pump in it. Once they gave it back, the same thing happened... wouldn't start the first time. I was done spending thousands at dealerships, so I decided to try to find my own way on the forums. I have seen similar threads, but there wasn't a clear answer to the problem. The car also doesn't accelerate when I push the gas when I'm at a stop, only sometimes. I was hoping to find an answer, since this is my first post. I have read that it could be the MAF, crank sensor.

The car is pretty much stock except for the cold air intake. I have only changed the front 4 spark plugs and wires.
Thanks.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I recall a few posts from LS4 members saying that the CAI metal box cut their wiring to their PCM.

Take a look at all of the wiring around the box and make sure nothing has been cut

Last edited by ChibiBlackSheep; 03-24-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 12:43 PM

What kind of diagnostic tools do you have available?

I'd start by plugging in a scan tool to read the sensor data during crank. Thatll immediately rule out MAF if its reading right.

Next I'd hook up a fuel pressure gauge to make sure the pump is on while this is happening. The dealer probably saw something funny here if they replaced the pump, they just may have diagnosed it as the wrong culprit.

Then I'd check for spark manually to make sure the plugs are actually firing.

Last I'd hook a noid light to an injector to make sure its actually firing them.

I'd bet between those 4 tests you'll uncover some kind if info to start leading you towards the culprit.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:29 PM

We actually took it to the chevy dealership and a private mechanic and they both said it was losing fuel pressure on occasion. It took them 2-3 weeks to get it to do it and it worked fine every other time. That's when we said to go ahead and put the fuel pump in. Also, I forgot to mention in the first post, I tested the fuel pressure, which didn't bleed fast, and I also scanned it. The scanner only had old codes and it read normal numbers for the MAF when I tested it. @bumpin96monte

Last edited by SigSauer; 03-24-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:44 PM

Looked at cold air intake today, found a wire cut near the ICM. You think this could be a problem? @ChibiBlackSheep