General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:17 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default starting problems

hello to all ..i have a 03 monte ss and it has starting issue once its warmed any hello wound be good ...ps could a throttle positioning sencer be the coprete.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:40 PM

explain to us more in detail of whats happening, does the car not want to restart after driving? for example, you drive to the gas station, turn the car off and it wont restart?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

This is what was going on with my car.
The car would start fine when it was cold. If I drove to Walmart, about a mile drive, leave the car that ran fine and came back to a car that I either had to Let get dead cold, or hold the gas peddle at 1200rpm for a minute. Otherwise it would start and stall. I did Plugs, fuel filter air filter FPR, EGR, MAP, still it would start and stall when hot. For Shins and Nickels, I saved the old MAS, in the trunk. After all that I did to fix this, putting the old MAS not only fixed the problembut the car ran great.
Now I'm not saying That's you problem. Mike6208 is right, you haven't given enough info for a solid diagnosis. But your breaf discription brought my mind right to "The MAS problem from Heck!"

Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd say ICM, crank sensor, or MAF

Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
Talking

Was the new MAF an AC Delco?
If not ... That could be your problem.
Also to be sure the MAF is the issue..
Unplug it... Drive to WalMart..shut it off,
Then try restarting it. If it starts and runs fine...
You've found the problem!

Old 08-13-2013, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member

Lol, I don't have that problem any more. But the new MAS was AC Delco But when I looked at the numbers on it, they didn't match up. I was telling the story cause, loneriders problem seemed so similar!

Old 08-16-2013, 09:08 PM
Default starting problems

thanks and here is more on what my car is doing on a cold motor it will start up ok now when its warm or and the motor is warm ,,then it stalls out apond starting could this be the map or etc.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member

When I had this problem, I changed the MAP, MAS, EGR, TPS, FPR, Cleaned the TB, Change plugs, Battery and ask advice both here and my local mechanic, everyone had advice, But in the end No one had mentioned the MAS. But when I changed the MAS, my car No longer had this problem. Don't get me wrong, I've gotten some Excellent advice here many times! Here there is, The Monte Carlo family of experts!!!!!
The way you describe the problem that you have is Exactly what my car was doing. I would not have thought the MAS could cause such a problem, I guess No one else did either. The other funny thing about it was I could not remote start my car at all. But changing the MAS solved both these problems. It can't hurt to at least have it checked out on the Big Expensive Diagnostic Machine. Not one of the little hand held jammies. Then you'll know for sure! Good Luck and Safe Driving!

Old 08-17-2013, 08:15 AM

thank you ,i think u hit it on the nail,,,,,i am new to the chevy car ,,been a ford explorer owener for years ......love my ss.......

Old 08-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Smile

how do i know what? generation monte i have

Quick Reply: starting problems