Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): 2006 montecarlo ss no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 07:24 AM
Default 2006 montecarlo ss no start

My car cut off on me today while driving. Started back up ..drove another 2 miles cut off again.. after I made it to work. . Tried to start car. Car won't start .. sounds like starter is making noise but no start ... any suggestions? Alternator? Starter? Electric issues ? Email tarintino07@gmail.com any suggestions

Old 05-18-2016, 07:55 AM

My alternator went out on me about a week ago but once that goes there's no chance of you starting back up. You only need the starter to start the vehicle so that's probably not the issue . I imagine it is probably something alternator related but there's nothing i can say for sure without more details. Are the light dimming / gauges working? I was riving along looked down saw blank screen and all my guages dead and then car shut off a few seconds down the road

Old 05-22-2016, 06:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the alternator crapped out I would think the service battery charging system message should have displayed down at the odometer. And battery light should have lit up to at least give a little warning.
But I concur with super sport, the battery is only needed to start the car up. If the alternator dies, the engine won't run long. Takes a lot of juice to fire the coil packs
Really surprised it started back up though if it indeed was alternator failure.
A starter failure wouldn't cause the car to die while running however.
Try jump start it and check the battery and alt would be a good start. If you can get it to run, grab a simple multimeter and with engine running you should have 13.5-14 volts or so at the battery if alternator is working properly.