Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2004 Monte Supercharged - Missing

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:30 AM
1 Year Member
Unhappy 2004 Monte Supercharged - Missing

It was a hot day here in Kentucky .. Around 85 degrees, nearly the first hot day that we've had. I leave from work, go to start my Monte doesn't start on the first try, I try again. It makes a loud screech sound and starts up, the car is Supercharged however the engine is a replacement from a previous Non-supercharged Monte. The car starts, spits and sputters and then presumes to by itself rev the engine to 3,000 RPM's and drops quickly back down to 800 RPM's and starts missing with the lights dimming. If I place the car in drive and give it gas on the highway it runs somewhat okay, with the occasional drag and miss while letting of the gas. During all of this, the security light is on however, the light has been on for around 2 months now. I drove to work fine, idled okay for 5 minutes while at work. The miss is so bad to the point the car jerks and the motor (I suppose from the mounts) make jerking sounds, and back firing after you turn off the engine. I filled up with 93 gasoline and that changed nothing. The spark plugs seems to be properly seated. Nothing changed during the period of it running smoothly at 2:00 PM then later on at 5:30 PM this all started happening. I think it may be the security passlock fooling with the fuel injectors? Any help would be appreciated, Thank you! & the reason why it doesn't have the supercharger .. Well let's just say it wen't up in smoke..

Last edited by Brad Lee Hobbs; 05-03-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wait, so does the car have an L36 or L67?

Have you tried to pull any codes from it?

Old 05-03-2012, 02:09 AM
1 Year Member

It's the 3800 Series II L36 sadly the L67 caught fire.. And no I won't be able to check with a computer until perhaps Saturday. I hate having to drive it like it is, but I do have to drive 8 miles in the next 2 days to keep my job of course. Just looking around to see if I can identify the issue.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 AM
1 Year Member

I do believe something has gone wonky .. Since my Insta MPG says -E- now .. Idk maybe I should take it on the interstate and hold it wide open in hopes the new high test gas fixes something? Haha .. I just went and started it the security light is no longer on, still the same results.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:17 AM

Hi Brad & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family.

It's difficult to diagnose your problem or help with just the information you have posted about your problem.

How many miles on your present engine & who did the install & when ?

What service has been done to your Monte Carlo ? When ?
Are there any modifcation done to your Monte L36 ?

Please answer above & post as much information as you can about your problem, and hopefully one of our expert member's can assist....Good Luck

Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Could be anything as simple as the pre-cat oxygen sensors or a fuel pump. I had very similiar symptoms on my truck and thats what my problems were. Would be cool if it did throw codes for you.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It ran perfectly at 2:00pm. But at 5:30pm it was suddenly that bad? Wow. Just wondering... Do some of your coworkers like to play pranks? Maybe someone unplugged something, or jacked around with your car during those 3.5 hours?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 AM
1 Year Member

Space, the current engine has 98,000 miles the install was completed by my cousin which produces salvaged cars. The engine was installed around late November 2011. Before the engine was placed, the transmission was serviced, coolant was flushed, spark plugs was changed, this was done in November. Oil was changed 2 weeks ago, no current modifications.

Zippy, I do suppose it could be the fuel pump, I suppose we shall see soon if so it should fail within a couple of more days.

Taz, I have a lock gas cap and the car was setting in the corner of a curb. So I really don't think anyone could have messed around with it.

We shall see today on how it acts or if I have to tow it home. Haha I don't know how much more I can explain just weird that nothing changed and it just suddenly got this bad. Thanks everyone!

Old 05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
1 Year Member

The cousin that sold me the car and done the engine change said it could be the security system. He said it probably was to the point of not starting at all and when it did finally start the security is trying to cut off fuel to the injectors. He said I'll have to get a new ignition cylinder or disable the passlock, I've looked at some ways of disabling is the switch idea a good plan?

Old 05-03-2012, 11:52 AM
1 Year Member

I'm kind of leaning toward the fuel pump now .. I place it in the on position and I hear a "clunk" noise coming from the back of the car. Nevertheless I'll get a fuel pump, ignition from my parts Monte, and worse case a rocker switch for the bypass. I'll tell you guys what I come up with Saturday, keep giving me some idea's just gonna buy all the parts and have them at hand. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2004 Monte Supercharged - Missing