Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2004 Monte Carlo SS - Service Engine Soon Light

Old 03-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Unhappy 2004 Monte Carlo SS - Service Engine Soon Light

Hello! New here and hope somebody can give me the answers I need here. I`ve got an 04 Monte that last summer, I changed out the factory steroe for an aftermarket stereo. Shortly after, the Service Vehicle Soon light came on (not the Service engine Soon). After taking it to Auto Zone and there being no codes at all, I researched online in this forum and elsewhere and found some info that said its common for these cars to get the SVS light after replacing the factory radio. So, anyway I have driven it with absolutely no issues until the last few weeks when the Service Engine Soon came on as well. I took it to a dealer and they said my thermostat needed replacing (this after charging me $110 to do the diag) and that after they did that and coolant flush, they would reset the codes. They wanted over $600 to do this.I left very irritated they wanted that much to do those minor repairs. Today, I took it somewhere local and they did the thermostat, coolant flush etc for considerably less and they cleared the code on the Service Engine Soon light but the Service Vehicle Soon light stayed on and they said a dealer would have to clear that. So back to the dealer I go, who proceeds to tel me that in order to clear it, they need to diag it first for another $110 then charge me another $150-$200 to reset it as well. I tried explaining that I did not need a diag because I`ve already had the repairs and their answer to me was "well it could of thrown another code since you left their shop" Unfreaking real.

I need help please. How can I reset the Service Vehicle Soon light on this car? I`m beyond frustrated with the dealer.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Any shop that has a tech II or equivalent scanner should be able to reset the SVS light.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

When you replaced the stock radio did you put in an aftermarket or stock radio. If aftermarket, you may need an adapter that allows it to connect to all the systems that run through your stock radio!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:07 PM

Just another thought-do you have an android phone? If so, you can get an obd-II bluetooth reader for the car, allowing you to read AND reset codes yourself. Makes diagnosis easier and for some jobs you can DIY (thermostats pretty easy), then clear the code. Did my tstat this year, even with coolant I came out under $30, parts and all.

Sorry don't have a suggestion for the SVS light, other than mine has come on a few times with no code thrown. I've got an aftermarket radio as well. I'm pretty sure that other than the annoyance factor it's completely fine.