Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2004 electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2004 electrical issue

I'm currently on my way to georgia on vacation. Twice on this trip so far, my gauges have gone crazy and then the battery indicator in the message center comes on. The indicator finally went out when I rolled the power window up. The car still ran the same during this. What could be going wrong? I have checked the battery and alternator before the trip and both checked out okay. Battery cables are tight. Could my pcm be going out? I'm afraid of breaking down on this trip. Thanks.

Wayne

Old 09-18-2011, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well,
I'm back from vacation and didn't break down. I had two more occurances of the gauges going crazy and some of the warning lights coming on. The gauges will go back to normal and all of the warning lights that lit up will go off except for the red battery indicator in the message center. I never waited to see if it would go out by itself but if my fiance would roll her window up, the battery light would go out.

I have no idea what is causing this. A couple of weeks before the trip, I noticed that my battery indicator came on a couple of times and is why I had the battery and alternator checked. I also checked it with an adapter that hooks into my AutoXray scanner and everything showed normal.

When the gauges go crazy, the car does not skip a beat as far as how it's running. No loss of power or it acting like it is going to shut off.

I know no one has responded but can anyone give me an educated guess on where to start looking? Thanks.

Wayne

PS. I did get the best gas mileage I have ever got with this car on the first tank of gas going out there at 29 mpg figured by hand. The rest of the tanks were between 25-27mpg.