Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2003 SS oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Default 2003 SS oil leak

My car has an intermittent oil leak, every other week my car leaks and and then it doesn’t. But when it leaks, it leaks a lot. I’m talking losing 5 Quarts in a day. When my oil level light pops up, I’ll check the dipstick and they’ll be barely any oil. Yet inside, my oil pressure gauge is saying it’s perfect. On the ground under the car I see the leak is coming from the front right of the car, right behind my wheel. I went to a personally recommended mechanic, I was told that the leak is coming from a power steering pressure hose, I’m no mechanic but I’m pretty sure that my engine oil isn’t going through my power steering. When I changed my brake pads, I could see that all the leaked oil was in the front right side, nothing in the left. What can I do to stop the leak, or how can I find where exactly it’s coming from. I have tried anti leak treatments, they’re no help. Thank you

Old 10-30-2017, 04:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Assuming you've already had the front valve cover gasket recall done and it's not leaking, the most likely culprit for a large leak from that area would be the front crank seal(AKA-engine seal). It's a pretty common problem with the 3800 II. Not a particularly hard fix, but you do have to remove the harmonic balancer pulley. The other common place for large oil leaks is the rear valve cover gasket, but that leak would more likely show up on the ground near center just in front of the fire wall. You would also see tons of smoke from oil leaking onto the hot exhaust manifold.

I would suggest not driving the car until fixed if you can.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:06 PM

Does the car run normally? It could be a crankshaft seal but that would leak all the time.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's also near the oil filter housing. Has it only been leaking from this oil change, or is this in on-going issue? Could have a poorly seated filter, or double-gasket issue.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by coolhand
Does the car run normally? It could be a crankshaft seal but that would leak all the time.
Good point, but I've seen them not leak when not running, just a little at idle and gush at higher RPM's when oil pressure increases.

I also agree with Chibi on the filter possibility. Definitely check to make sure the filter is screwed on tight enough.

Last edited by plumbob; 10-30-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:33 PM
Default Not sure about the recall

I’ve bought my car used recently from a private owner, I’m unsure about the recall being serviced or not. Although the car does run normally and there is no visible engine oil leak on top of the engine. It’s only visible when I’m under the car. I can’t see the source of the leak as it looks like it covers a 1/4 of the bottom of the engine.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If the front valve cover is black, you've had the recall done. Most likely you haven't.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:57 AM

If The recall wasn’t taken care of, would a dealer still do it

Old 10-31-2017, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Anonemu
If The recall wasn’t taken care of, would a dealer still do it
yes they will

Old 10-31-2017, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Anonemu
I’ve bought my car used recently from a private owner, I’m unsure about the recall being serviced or not. Although the car does run normally and there is no visible engine oil leak on top of the engine. It’s only visible when I’m under the car. I can’t see the source of the leak as it looks like it covers a 1/4 of the bottom of the engine.
Do you ever see or smell oil smoke come out around the hood? Leaking valve covers drip onto hot exhaust parts, either front or back. IMO they should have recalled the back cover as well as the front based on the safety concern of oil leaking onto the exhaust. Even a few drops make quite a bit of smoke when it hits a hot exhaust. Considering the high rate of oil loss from your car I would think there would be a lot of smoke if the valve covers were leaking. I recently had a rear vc gasket blow out after going out for a "spirited" 5 mile romp to the store and back. Just as I pulled into my driveway the rear vc gasket blew out Spilling a 100 foot long "tell tale" trail of oil on the street and a half quart of oil under the car. After I parked smoke billowed out under the hood and into the cabin through the heater until I shut it off.