Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2003 SS needs wiper/cruise/signal arm

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 06:42 PM
3 Year Member
Default 2003 SS needs wiper/cruise/signal arm

I'm guessing I'm not the first one with an issue with the combo wiper/cruise/signal arm. For a while the wipers have been odd. Usually doesn't work at all in delay, always works on high. Also hard to switch between high/low beams, and today the turn signals started acting up. Any tips on finding a replacement? Should I go to GM parts or one of the other vendors on the net? Seems like a relatively simple part to remove and install, but could use some tips from folks that have already done one. thanks!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Default Multi-function switch

first off yes find and but an ACdelco replacement switch from a dealer or a partstore that carries ACdelco parts. they will likely have to order it in for you. to install it you need to disconnect your battery and leave it that way for 20 minutes or so to disarm the air bag in the steering wheel. you are going to need some specialty tools to take apart the column covers and take the slip ring (clockspring) off. this is probably and easier task for a gm tech or someone with experience doing this kinda job. if the slip ring rotates out of position while off it will cause air bag, and turn signal problems as well as radio and cruise problems if the buttons are steering wheel mounted. a special tool is also required to remove some snap rings from the column that hold some of the parts together on the shaft. it is possible that the multi switch could be removed without taking the slip ring off but i don't think you can get at the torx bolts without doing so. i'm about 90% sure you can't get at at least one bolt.

hope it goes well either way and if you do it yourself be careful with the air bag cuz they aren't joking around when they say they can kill you if mishandled.