Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2003 Monte Carlo steering/braking issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007 | 11:01 PM
|
Default 2003 Monte Carlo steering/braking issue

This problem started occuring a month ago off and on and seems to have gotten worse over the past week. Sometimes, not always, when I make a sharp turn at low speeds and especially within the first 5 minutes of driving, I'll get this kind of 'aaaaaaa' sound. But now, there is a new symptom that goes along with this. When braking through the orginal turning problem, the brakesseem less responsive and it feels like the brakes are 'kicking back' at me. From what I can tell,the problemseems to be equal opportunity, it doesn't matter if I'm turning left or right.

If I had to guess, I'd say fluid flowis being cut-off due to some hoses being pinched, but then again, I don't presume to know anything about cars, at least not new ones. I'd go after my 86' Mustang with a wrench and aprayer all the time, but I feel over-whelmed with new cars...it's a good thing I have a decent job now to pay some whom I presume does know how to work on today's cars. What's going on and how much are we talking to get fixed? I just had the recent'luck' of having some kind of sensor module(thetechnical name I can't remember)replaced because it went bad and wouldn't read my key, thus, would not start (this was about a month ago also...haha, coincidence?). While it was at the dealership, they said they have checked both the power steering fluid and the brake fluid and they were fine.

Can anyone educate me here or at least point me in the right direction so I at least have a vauge idea of what's going on before Itake itto a dealship? If you need more info, fire away, I'll be as helpful as I can! And please, whatever you do, don't be afraid to point out my ignorance on the matter!

Old 06-19-2007 | 02:07 AM
Default RE: 2003 Monte Carlo steering/braking issue

By the sound you said it is making would make me to believe that
1. The power steering fluid is low (but u said the mech's said that was ok)
2. The power steering pump is going bad

By the way what year car are we talking about

Old 06-19-2007 | 09:51 AM
|

2003....how does this account for the brakes 'kicking' at me

Old 06-19-2007 | 10:41 AM

is the ABS light coming on?
Not sure what you mean by the brakes kicking back at you.
Does this do it only in turns, If so fix the first problem. Then see
how it is doing.

Old 06-19-2007 | 10:57 AM
|

nothing out of the ordinary is happening on the dash, no extra lights, nothing in the message center

the brakes only kick when the 'aaaaaaaa' sound happens during turns

what I mean by kicking is when I'm stoping the car through an 'aaaaa' turn, the brake pedal is trying to push back as I'm applying pressure

Old 06-19-2007 | 11:12 AM

Next time you drive the car and come the "aaaaaa" turn,
Try and watch the engine tech and see if the engine is trying to die (shut off)

Old 06-19-2007 | 12:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

yah your rpms will go down really good if that happens, i know that when your just sitting in park and you turn the wheel the rmps drop, so if they drop significantly you've got something going, somethings goin in the powersteering

Old 06-19-2007 | 12:53 PM

This is why I stated fix the first problem.
Most likely the power steering pump taking power for the engine.
Meaning that the power is pulling the engine down to a lower RPM and
almost stalling the engine out.
I think the brakes kicking back at you is because the engine is almost stalling out.
Remember the brakes work on vacuum so if the engine is almost stalling out,
there is very little to no vacuum to operate the brake booster.

Old 06-19-2007 | 02:42 PM
|

it's very hard to know if the rpms are going down because of the ever so slight use of acceleration...as far as I can tell from sound and reading the rpms, the car is never in immanent danger of stalling....all that being said, everything you guys have said makes sense with what's going on

I'll more than likely take it to get worked on, but just for the sake of curiousity, what's entailed with changing a power steering pump on these cars?

Old 06-19-2007 | 03:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

you could always try some additive, lucas makes a real good product and sometimes that helps things out, there's a couple other products out there, i know of one that works really well, but its not available easily, its a guy in my town is the rep for it, but there's not many places sell it even up here, and its called tri-pak

Quick Reply: 2003 Monte Carlo steering/braking issue