Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2003 cooling fans not turning on

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:36 AM
1 Year Member

Bringing this thread back to life, still have this issue. Ended up getting a new battery, still didn't fix my issue. Also replaced the ECT sensor. I seriously have replaced all fuses and relays. Besides the ac pressure cycling switch, which I can't find a compatible one for the life of me; what else can I try at home to fix my issue? I would like ac this summer. Hard wire the fans?

Last edited by FFGURU; 04-27-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:24 AM
1 Year Member

I have no power at the fans...but they continue to run without the ect sensor. Does the ect sensor operate on a different circuit? What would cause this? Wouldn't a bad ground eliminate the fans running period? If I disconnect the ground behind the drivers headlight, I lose the horn. I was under the impression the horn and the fans were tied together at this ground. So does this mean my grounds are all good and i'm dealing with a pcm issue? Any help would be appreciated. I am running out of ideas.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:34 AM
1 Year Member

Also..I did find this connector between my grille and radiator. Not for sure where it goes, or what is it used for.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't think the picture posted. At least I can't see it, just a box with an "X" in it.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:12 AM
1 Year Member

If you right click on it, select open image in a new tab.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:48 PM
1 Year Member

Ended up getting the BCM replaced and still have no fan operation under ac command. No idea where to move forward from here...Any tips or ideas?

Old 05-17-2017, 11:18 AM
1 Year Member

So tested again and now I have both fans operating when the temp gauge gets up to half. Problem is that they turn on and off probably every 30 seconds. The passenger side fan still doesn't constantly stay on for the ac operation. What would cause this?

Old 06-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Default Does AC relay switch cause overheating??

Hello - it has been a while since I have posted... hope all are well

I have been trying to sift through this thread in hopes to find answers on why or how to determine why my AC doesn't work.
I had a "friend" of a friend look at it last night and he said the the relay switch, box under the hood, may be bad since it doesn't sit well - kinda loose. My air compressor belt isn't turning. I have read that changing the relay can cause overheating which my car tried to do the other day when I had simple air blowing through it - no AC button. Is there any truth to that?

Thermostat was changed a few months ago and until the other day haven't had any overheating issues.

Last year I didn't have air at all and this year no air and my driver's side window is messed up so it's bolted in the up position.

Sorry for the long thread - any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Old 06-27-2017, 03:46 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by evilee530
Hello - it has been a while since I have posted... hope all are well

I have been trying to sift through this thread in hopes to find answers on why or how to determine why my AC doesn't work.
I had a "friend" of a friend look at it last night and he said the the relay switch, box under the hood, may be bad since it doesn't sit well - kinda loose. My air compressor belt isn't turning. I have read that changing the relay can cause overheating which my car tried to do the other day when I had simple air blowing through it - no AC button. Is there any truth to that?

Thermostat was changed a few months ago and until the other day haven't had any overheating issues.

Last year I didn't have air at all and this year no air and my driver's side window is messed up so it's bolted in the up position.

Sorry for the long thread - any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
I'm not for sure about your issue, my ac compressor comes on without any issues. My issue is my cooling fans don't want to stay running. They shut off every 20 seconds after the car gets to temperature.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:03 PM

I'm not sure if this helps you or not....
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...ling-fan-relay