Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2003 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Yeap... Been having this problem (not the intermittent miss) for FOREVER now....... PLEASE update me if you find anything out....
Here's the update, he ended up swapping out MAF disconnected the battery overnight and the problem was solved. His also commented it seemed to have more power now, he always said my car had more power and complained because mine has twice the mileage (268,000 ). I wish you luck wht02monte

Old 05-25-2018, 02:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad to hear it!

You can recommend every time he rotates the tires, he uses a MAF cleaner spray. I like to do that.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
Here's the update, he ended up swapping out MAF disconnected the battery overnight and the problem was solved. His also commented it seemed to have more power now, he always said my car had more power and complained because mine has twice the mileage (268,000 ). I wish you luck wht02monte
Tell him to play close attention after a while and make sure the problem doesnt come back.. I did the same thing, it seemed fixed, then it came back after a couple weeks..

BUT, you say there hasnt been any light to indicate the MAF? No codes or anyhting??

Old 05-26-2018, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

When I first looked at the car there was no check engine light .My OTC code reader doesn't show misfire data so I was leaning towards the ICM after we swapped out one of the coils that seemed weak when checking so we changed out with no results. I remember seeing a post about random misfire what brought me to the MAF where ChibiBlackSheep made some comments on. I kinda remember your post about tuning and power loss wish I knew more to help you. Minus the MAF or a plugged catalystic converter I wouldn't know where else too point you as you have swapped out the MAF already and imagine you have done a back pressure test on the cat.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
When I first looked at the car there was no check engine light .My OTC code reader doesn't show misfire data so I was leaning towards the ICM after we swapped out one of the coils that seemed weak when checking so we changed out with no results. I remember seeing a post about random misfire what brought me to the MAF where ChibiBlackSheep made some comments on. I kinda remember your post about tuning and power loss wish I knew more to help you. Minus the MAF or a plugged catalystic converter I wouldn't know where else too point you as you have swapped out the MAF already and imagine you have done a back pressure test on the cat.
Yea I am 99% sure I just had bad luck with a couple MAFs.. I can swap my bonneville's MAF into the monte and the problem is gone.. I think I was thinking into it a little more than I should.. I was thinking it was something causing the MAFs to go bad but that just doesnt make sense..

BUT, if the problem comes back.. Be sure to post.. Thanks..