Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002ss 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 08:26 AM
Default 2002ss 3.8

I have a 2002 ss 3.8. Car has about 76000 miles on it. Lately, a few problems: water leaks thru courtesy light under passenger side dash, during heavy rains(Florida). Also, started hearing noise like a bad bearing, when first starting. If I turn on the air conditioning, the noise stops. Took vehicle into repair shop and was told the compressor is shot and will cost about $750.00 to repair. Does this cost sound about right? Thanks for any insight.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:40 PM

For the leak it sounds like a drain may be plugged up somewhere. For the A/C the price you were quoted sounds right. My compressor leaks & wont hold refrigerant. To replace it, all the lines & everything else related to was an estimate of $1K. I'll just roll down the windows for free

Old 03-14-2016, 09:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by vincenti
For the leak it sounds like a drain may be plugged up somewhere. For the A/C the price you were quoted sounds right. My compressor leaks & wont hold refrigerant. To replace it, all the lines & everything else related to was an estimate of $1K. I'll just roll down the windows for free
I agree with vincenti. The most common cause of water leaking onto the passenger side floor is from the poorly designed air deflector over the cabin air filter, but in your case it sounds like it might be a clogged A/C condensate drain. Did you notice a musty smell when the A/C was turned on?
$750-$1000 is about right for the A/C work so long as that includes everything...refrigerant recovery and re-charge, complete system flush, evaporator and condensor cleaning, new compressor, receiver-drier, orifice tube and o-rings.
I did the A/C system on my car myself with a little help from my HVAC buddies that I work with at the Mechanical contractor we're employed by. Takes several special tools.