Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2002 MC SS unresponsive when key turned?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 06:17 AM
Gib
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2002 MC SS unresponsive when key turned?

Transmission replaced with same effectivity and same year of mfg.
New battery installed.

Initially had dash lights and check engine light. Car would not crank (no security light or radio locked message). Read code for oil low quantity. Next day connected oil level connector. Car seems dead now except for courtesy lights only (dome and foot area) and door lock switches work. Double checked Battery tests good. Battery grounds are connected and clean. Fuses under hood all look good and reinstalled. Yesterday, I realized I am using a metal blank key. found proper key no help. Checked online tonight that shouldn't be a problem.

Thought the computer doesn't like the transmission change but a gm mech tells me it shouldn't be that.

Really confused now. Going to try relearn procedures next.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:23 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

The relearn might take care of it if all the electrical including grounds are hooked up right, although I'm surprised your not getting a security and battery light. This happened to me when I replaced my transmission. Found I had a ground wire mislocated, the one that attaches to the stud that joins the trans. to the engine.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:34 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I replaced my tranny almost a year ago and had no issues with the pcm, so my money is with PlumBob's suggestion, I would be willing to bet it's a ground wire issue

Old 12-17-2015, 11:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

My vote is a ground issue.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:12 AM
Gib

I read the plumbob ground thread. Mine is connected at the trans / motor stud. The other short (-) goes to the body near the battery tray. Both are clean. Is there another one somewhere else?

Old 12-18-2015, 03:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

There should be two different ground wires on that stud, technically there are three since one of those connectors actually has two wires connected to it.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:17 AM
Gib

Thanks I look later this afternoon. Working OT to fund xmass.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-21-2015, 11:31 PM

Do you have an aftermarket remote starter on this Monte? If so look at resetting the aftermarket security bypass/immobilizer module as this may have trigger your OEM anti-theft circuit. If the car battery is disconnected for a long time, then you always have to rest the aftermarket security bypass/immobilizer module.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:26 AM
Gib

No aftermarket system like that.

I remade the connections on the starter and the grounds. Thought the battery died while it was disconnected. Took it back to the store and it checked good for them. Must have been a glitch on my cheap meter. I previously checked the battery volts straight and under load using my good tester.

Maybe there is a fuse able link bad? I'm about to call a GM mech my daughter knows. It is likely over my head.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:29 AM
Gib

Under the airbox there is a ground to the body. I had it on a trans bolt. I corrected that and added a jumper from the trans to the body over there.