Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): 2002 3.8L AC Compressor making lots of noise (rattling? clanking?). Safe, or fix now?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 07:33 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Question 2002 3.8L AC Compressor making lots of noise (rattling? clanking?). Safe, or fix now?

Hello,

I've just come into ownership of a 2002 Monte Carlo SS and, among other smaller issues, the AC is non-operational. After driving it for around 800 miles (PA to NC, NC to VA and back), I've just noticed a metallic rattling/jangling/clanking noise coming from what appears to be the AC compressor. (I've got pretty good directional hearing and I compared what I saw/heard to a serpentine belt diagram. I was also told that the AC was kaput.) While the noise is annoying, I don't really have a spare $400 to $500 to get this fixed right now (and we're just about to enter colder weather, so who needs AC, right?). Is this something that's going to fail spectacularly and make me wish I'd taken care of it when I had the chance, or can this wait until next summer when I'll really want a functional (and non-jangling) AC?

Thanks!

- John

Old 10-18-2016, 02:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like the bearings in the idler pulley for the AC are starting to go. You can honestly hit it with WD-40 while the car is on and it might clean it enough for that noise to go away.

Other than that, you can just run an AC delete pulley, or get a smaller belt and bypass that pulley all together until you want to pay for the fix.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

if they make an ac delete pulley as chibi stated that would be the least expensive way to be safe until warmer weather hits. once that ac clutch pulley decides to lock up, and its just a matter of time( could be 6 months from now or tomorrow) it will throw the belt or break the belt and leave you stranded.
Look at Dorman AC Bypass Pulley Part # 34195
I put one on a grand prix 3800 a while back think I got it from advance

Another option you would possibly have is remove the compressor, tie up the lines and wire out of the way and run a shorter belt. Not sure of the SS was an option without air to be able to help with the correct belt to use other than eyeballing it.

Last edited by Aerocoupe86; 10-19-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:49 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Thanks very much for the responses! I'll look into the delete pulley, and will definitely hit it with WD-40 in the meantime.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The delete pulley is your best bet if you don't want to replace the compressor right away.

The way the belt is ran on the 3800 I am almost certain you can not bypass that pulley with a shorter belt.