Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 monte passkey system

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2001 monte passkey system

Hi all Monte, GM fans,

I have a 2001 Monte LS that does not always start right away due to passkey security getting tripped. I usually get it started after leaving the key in the on position for 10 minutes until the security light quits flashing 3 times. On two occasions it took 3 cycles.

I have two keys with the black plastic top, factory original I'm assuming, and one key made from a Ilco blank that has NO plastic, just all metal with a 6 digit number etched into the key. All 3 keys have started the car.

I have read two things about the passkey system

1. You can bypass it with a wiring hack by installing a resistor to trick the computer into allowing the car to start. There was a range of resistance to try. I assume this would vary depending on the specific key???? If so, does anyone know how to determine which resistance to choose?

2. I also read where the cylinder itself will detect any mechanical resistance due to a worn key and/or worn tumblers. If it doesn't turn smoothly the security system will trip.

So... Since the copy of the ignition key will work would I be wasting my time on the wiring/resistor trick? I'm assuming so but welcome all opinions.

If I buy a new cylinder I have seen some on rockauto.com that say new keys are included. Will I have to take it to the dealer to get the computer reprogrammed to accept the new keys?

The car has multiple issues right now so I'm trying to prioritize my repair $$

P.S. I'm also going on the assumption that the two 'factory' keys have some type of resistor built in. The third key, a copy, is all metal but still will start the car.

Thank You for any help and insight!!