Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 Monte Carlo SS Rear Defogger Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Default 2001 Monte Carlo SS Rear Defogger Issue

Hello All!

I have come to find out that my rear defogger is not working anymore and one of the tabs on the back window has disconnected. The radio reception is poor because of this issue.

I was wondering if putting Silicon paste would fix the issue for me. We want to try this before we actually re-solder it back on.

Thank you, and Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:21 AM

Silicone is not a conductor, so no, that will not work.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A few different companies make rear window defroster repair kits. I used the one made by Permatex to fix the tab in my Blazer and it was still working over a year later when I sold it.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I dont know what state your from...But if your from one of the states where its freezeing out...Soldierings gonna make it impossible outdoors..

I would recommend getting into a heated garage or shop before you attempt to soldier it.

Im not familiar with any products that help reconnect the tab to the defroster...without soldiering...

Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by STUMPMI
Im not familiar with any products that help reconnect the tab to the defroster...without soldiering...
Professional Repair Systems : Permatex® Complete Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit

^^^ Works great! ^^^

If you don't need to repair the grid and only repair the tab they also offer just the conductive adhesive:

Permatex 21351 Electrically Conductive Rear Window Defogger Tab Adhesive : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 AM

I tried the permatex product but had no luck. You get very little product to work with and the electrical conductivity was very poor. I don't know, maybe I got an very old package and it was past its shelf life.

Anyway, I tried the frostfighter.com product and was VERY happy with it. Its easy to work with and also does a great job of filling in the grid damage from where the tab pulled away. It was a little pricey though, about $35 plus shipping but you get a lot of it. I actually used some of the remaining to repair a circuit board connection.

If you do try soldering make sure the glass is warm and also put a wet towel on the outside to help dissipate the heat. If you crack it it will be big $$ to replace.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Great Info Mike(O3SSLE)...and..Jim!
If I ever need to make this repair these are the routes Im gonna go!
Thanks!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 PM

I used the frostfighter product on mine after 3 other brands and its been 2 years, still works perfect.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:06 PM

Interesting. My rear defroster has been broken since I bought the Monte and never really looked into it that much...

How many tabs are on the window? I think I remember seeing 3 or 4 and I though maybe one of mine was missing? Is there any way to repair it if there is a missing tab?

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Furder2010
Interesting. My rear defroster has been broken since I bought the Monte and never really looked into it that much...

How many tabs are on the window? I think I remember seeing 3 or 4 and I though maybe one of mine was missing? Is there any way to repair it if there is a missing tab?

Thanks!
On my 2001 the lower tab on the drivers side was supplying the power, I think there were two other tabs but the cars not here right now to check. I ordered a replacement tab along with the frostfighter.com product since the permatex junk was hard to clean off, it was only a couple of bucks extra and they plug right into the harness connector. If you have grid damage where the tabs are supposed to be the frostfighter stuff works great to repair that. Its sticky, conducts electricity great and you get plenty of it.

Quick Reply: 2001 Monte Carlo SS Rear Defogger Issue