Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 Monte Carlo not starting after ignition switch & lock cylinder (with keys)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 05:58 PM
Default 2001 Monte Carlo not starting after ignition switch & lock cylinder (with keys)

My 16 year old just got her 1st car... She came in carrying the lock cylinder with the key in it. I changed both these out and now the car turns on but won't start. I've tried the "relearn" twice. The first day I noticed the running lights were on - this drained the battery. I unplugged the fuse for the "PCM?" to make sure it wouldn't drain the battery. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Old 11-02-2017, 10:28 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The first thing to do is get the battery up to full charge. Pulling the fuse for the PCM wouldn't prevent the battery from draining. You would have have been better off disconnecting the negative battery cable. Once the battery is charged, so long as the ignition switch housing is not bad or something else and you do the 30 minute re-learn the car should start.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:09 PM

Thanks for the help! I was able to relearn the new ignition cylinder/key after doing it 5 times and purchasing a new battery. I was not aware of this when I tried to do it the first time. I noticed on the 5th cycle the lights flashed. I noticed the ignition was not turning off, so I adjust the position a bit and I thought it worked... My daughters new battery was dead - wouldn't jump start... Battery is on charger - been on for 5 hours and at 52% ???? The saga continues.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it's advised to have a charger hooked up before starting the re-learn procedure, it pits a heluva drain on the battery. Hopefully all will be well with a full charge. It's not uncommon to take several tries before the re-learn takes.

Last edited by plumbob; 11-06-2017 at 08:18 AM.