Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Squealing noise 3.4

Old 11-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Default Squealing noise 3.4

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo ls with a 3.4l engine. The engine started to make a squealing noise like a belt slipping. I replaced the water pump, belt, and starter. It still was making it. I removed the belt and started the engine without the belt. It was still making that sound. The squealing sound is coming around the front first cylinder. Any thoughts?

Old 11-05-2017, 01:14 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by fenster25
I have a 2000 Monte Carlo ls with a 3.4l engine. The engine started to make a squealing noise like a belt slipping. I replaced the water pump, belt, and starter. It still was making it. I removed the belt and started the engine without the belt. It was still making that sound. The squealing sound is coming around the front first cylinder. Any thoughts?

Well usually when you here a squealing noise it is the Power steering Pump but you took the spin out of it's pulley with the belt off. Then there is the tensioner that may cause it. But it seems to me that I recently saw a video on youtube that indicated this problem and it was the Cam or Crank pulley aka the (Harmonic balancer) that was the culprit. A mystery for sure? I added a video that may help????

Last edited by drivernumber3; 11-05-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

X2 on the harmonic balancer. Remove the passenger front tire to have a look at the balancer and look for the separation as shown in the video. You can sometimes see it wobble slightly when you look down on it with the engine running.

Search this Thread