Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2001 3.8 No tail lights at night or Dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 03:39 PM
Default 2001 3.8 No passive tail lights at night or Dash lights

Hi, well the other day I was heading home from work at night then poof no dash lights or passive tail lights brake lights work when I hit the brakes and rear blinkers work just no passive lights do so people can see my rear end at night when I'm not hitting the brakes. I have replaced the ambient light sensor and the dimmer switch. I have checked all of the fuses (I may have missed it of course I was just shining a flash light at all of them) all of them looked good. When my ambient light sensor is in sunlight my dash lights work but at night time they all go dim and my passive tail lights dont work. Seen similar Posts of course but no clear answer. If someone finds a fuse that could be my problem tell me what fuse it is don't say like 2nd from the bottom or anything like that say the amps and the name like AUX PWR- any help is greatly appreciated never been this stumped in my life.

Last edited by 2001montecarlo; 03-15-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:23 PM

If you tested all your fuses, Could be BCM or maybe a short/open circuit on that line. Also I would look over this thread.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...rk-dark-31742/

I don't want to say that it is your issue. Maybe something to look at.

To give some info not in that posting. IF that posting don't help maybe you will find something helpful with mine..

Your park/running lights are turned on by switch, that goes to BCM, BCM sends a ground to the Park/running Relay <-- Maybe bad Relay? However if your cars front park/running lights are working then it would have to be related to fuse or short in the system.

One of the problems with Wiring is if your testing your circuit at the fuse, it could be an open and your fuse would show good. If it was a short your fuse would blow. So that sounds like maybe you have an open. You can do some testing if you have a DVOM or test light. If you don't and have a extra light socket you could use that with a bulb to make a tester. Then you would want to take your fuse out of the Fuse box, run test over line going to the back. If using a DVOM you could tell if there was a short by testing ohms that would be from fuse box to rear light socket for testing

However if you don't have running in back or front. Start with your Relay. If that is good. check the BCM

James

Last edited by Imp42017; 03-15-2017 at 08:26 PM.