Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 Throwing bad MAF again

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Default 2000 Throwing bad MAF again

Hey ya'll. I've been away for a while but need your expertise once again. My sister has a 2000 SS that had the MAF replaced about 8 months ago. Now all of a sudden it randomly dies when she accelerates. Somedays its fine, some its not. It may even happen in the middle of a trip. Autozone is saying it's a MAF sensor code. One shop is saying it may be a cracked head or head gasket.

My questions to you are
1) Does that shop's preliminary diagnosis make any sense? I've never had experience with what symptoms a cracked head or head gasket would do.

2) any common MAF related things to look for?

Thank again!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Unplug the MAF and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then the MAF is most likely bad and would need to be replaced again.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A dirty or failed MAF can cause a lot of screwy and intermitent things. In the short term, you can disconnect the MAF and see if the issue goes away (as the computer then compensates for no MAF reading). This is NOT a permenent solution, just a testing point.
Next, I would check the warranty on the MAF part used. If it's a 1 year warranty, go directly to the exchange line and swap it (takes 5 minutes to remove, but you need a security torx bit to remove it).
If it's not under warranty anymore, get the MAF cleaner from the parts store and follow the directions on the can (it costs less then $10 for a can, a new MAF as I'm sure you are aware is pricy).

As for a failed head gasket or cracked head, these would not throw a MAF code and you'd have more consistent issues (such as, but not limited to):
- Mis fires
- Coolant lose
- Poor performance

You have a CEL code that does match your symptoms. Diagnos the MAF and go from there.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 PM

Where did you get said MAF from 8months ago? If it is a generic MAF off Ebay then it was amazing she got 8months out of it.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 PM

check the air filter. seeing how she's a woman she probably never has replaced it. i've seen a clogged air filter cause that issue.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:35 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 2003_iceman
check the air filter. seeing how she's a woman she probably never has replaced it. i've seen a clogged air filter cause that issue.
That is a really sexist comment. I would advise against statements like that.

Second, it's worth checking the air filter, but typically when these cars throw a MAF code, there is something up with the MAF causing it. But it takes 5 minutes to check and air filter, so worth not ignoring it.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

My opinion about MAF problems is posted here:

https://montecarloforum.com/forum/en...18/#post541287

I don't think a dirty air filter is causing the problem. The PCM should adjust fuel delivery to coincide with the amount of air the engine is receiving. Of course, if the MAF is not working properly...

Old 04-10-2013, 12:03 PM

Air filter was something I thought of, but did not relay it as it was changed with the MAF. What about the clogged Cats I've been reading about? Would behave similarly, no? Or would that not throw a MAF code?

Old 04-10-2013, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Endo
Air filter was something I thought of, but did not relay it as it was changed with the MAF. What about the clogged Cats I've been reading about? Would behave similarly, no? Or would that not throw a MAF code?
If the catalytic converter is having issues you might get the check engine light with a p0420 error. Mine was clogged but that resulted in reduced power and would also make a whistling sound under acceleration from the back pressure. But, a simple check like holding your hand close to the tail pipe while someone revs the engine would tell you if it is seriously clogged. You should feel substantially more exhaust as the engine revs.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:43 PM

10 Year Member

You actually have a MAF CEL code. It's not a clogged cat.

I agree with 03SSLE about the air filter should not cause the problem (it was a quick check, plus if it was dirty, it might be promoting dirt getting on the MAF resulting in problems there, but in honesty, it is a long shot).

More then likely, the MAF is bad.

Quick Reply: 2000 Throwing bad MAF again