Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 SS drives for a few blocks and then stalls.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Hi Concrete,
Below is the link on the recall...Please keep us updated on your resolve to your problems, and what you did to fix it.
Good Luck
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...0&summary=true

Old 09-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
oil leaks are never fun, how's your coolant level??

Oil leak, could hopefully be nothing serious. Coolant leaks usually can lead to a lower intake manifold gasket going bad, and those aren't fun to do.

Coolant looks good. It's hard to tell but the exhaust pipe burns a little oil, the one on the left side of the manifold.
I first noticed it leaking on the floor and it wasn't a lot but it was more than a little if that makes sense.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:55 PM

Replaced the IAC valve today but the car still stalls. Is there anything special that I need to do after installing a new IAC or is it just plug and play?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by KidSpace
Hi Concrete,
Below is the link on the recall...Please keep us updated on your resolve to your problems, and what you did to fix it.
Good Luck
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...0&summary=true
Kidspace,

I called the dealer and they said that my car had the regulator replaced in 2004. I bought it in 2005 so it looks like they replaced it right before I bought it. I suppose it could still be the regulator though. I'm going to get a fuel pressure tester and see what I can see.

Anyone know about that IAC valve? The car lopes at idle since I removed it so maybe I need to drive it to get it to normal?

Old 09-09-2010, 10:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Disconnect the negative battery terminal for an hour so your car goes back into the relearn process and uses all new readings from the sensors.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by concrete
Hi everybody,

I've got a problem with my 2000 SS MC. When I start it up it idles and then drives fine for a couple of blocks and then will just stall like it has no gas. (There is a full tank) If I try to start it again the car dies a second after starting unless I hold the gas pedal down and rev it to 3000 rpm or so and if I put the car in drive while revving I can drive it for a block or two before it dies again and won't start even with me trying to rev.
This might be a red herring, but just in case...

One of my old cars (not the Monte) had a similar problem. Turned out to be a weak spark / ignition system. In my case, the ignition module was dying. That caused the spark to get weak after the engine warmed up. So if nothing else seems to work, try looking at your ignition system, make sure you're getting a good strong spark with engine warm/hot.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:53 PM

I just took off the connector to the maf sensor and started the car. It ran without shutting off. It slightly sputtered, but then again I did replace the IAC too.

I'm thinking maybe it is faulty and was making the car shut off? I plugged it back in and it ran but the engine was at normal temp when I did so maybe it is just when the engine is cold?

Does this make sense? I'm used to working on older cars without all of the sensors..

Old 09-09-2010, 01:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The MAF could be the more expensive alternative to the problem. You could try getting a can of MAF cleaner and shooting down the sensor and letting it fully dry (never touching the wire with anything but the cleaner spray) and see if that helps?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:54 PM

any idea of what the air flow rate should be? I'm using my scanner (elm 327) and the MAF stays at .2 lbs/min, even if I hit the gas. I'm assuming it should be changing..

Old 09-09-2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
The MAF could be the more expensive alternative to the problem. You could try getting a can of MAF cleaner and shooting down the sensor and letting it fully dry (never touching the wire with anything but the cleaner spray) and see if that helps?
That was pretty much the first thing I did. It was dirty but didn't help. Maybe it is going bad?

Quick Reply: 2000 SS drives for a few blocks and then stalls.