Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Monte Carlo Repair Help (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/)
-   -   2000 SS drives for a few blocks and then stalls. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/monte-carlo-repair-help-8/2000-ss-drives-few-blocks-then-stalls-23195/)

concrete 09-08-2010 08:38 AM

2000 SS drives for a few blocks and then stalls.

Hi everybody,

I've got a problem with my 2000 SS MC. When I start it up it idles and then drives fine for a couple of blocks and then will just stall like it has no gas. (There is a full tank) If I try to start it again the car dies a second after starting unless I hold the gas pedal down and rev it to 3000 rpm or so and if I put the car in drive while revving I can drive it for a block or two before it dies again and won't start even with me trying to rev.

No Check engine Light, no DTC codes.

I changed the fuel filter, no luck.

I do get the security light sometimes, flashes while driving, won't let me start the car for 10 minutes, ect...I've just delt with it for a few years.

I'm thinking since no check engine light it could be fuel pump or something with the security. It really feels like the gas is being cut off when it stalls.

Anyone have any ideas?

3.8 engine, everything is stock.

thanks in advance.

ChibiBlackSheep 09-08-2010 08:52 AM

I would check the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. It's on your throttle body.

Hell, I would probably just take the throttle body off, and give it a good cleaning (being careful with the MAF) sounds like you have some bad carbon building up.

When mine was going bad, I had to pop the gas when starting so it wouldn't stall out. But it was a weird stall, like it quietly just stopped working, instead of chugging and dying.

Space 09-08-2010 08:52 AM

:rolleyes:...Hi Concrete & Welcome to the Monte Carlo Family...
Sorry to read that you are having a problem with your Monte Carlo...How many miles on your Monte ?
Are you mechanically inclined and do you own work ?

I would suggest checking
the Fuel Pressure Regulator, 3.8L VIN K engine only, and the Wiring System. The cost to repair the Fuel Pressure Regulator is estimated at $82.17 for parts and $32.50 for labor. This condition maybe covered by Recall #03054B.:confused:

Check back later to see what our Expert Tech Member's post on your problem......I am not a tech....I just search the web or my files for infor....GOod Luck 4-Sure...

p.s. Thanks Moderator `Mike, we posted @ the same time : ) Like what you posted.....Super Great to have you back helping our Family Member's : )

concrete 09-08-2010 08:57 AM

Thanks guys. Someone mentioned the IAC the other day. Sounds like it is worth checking out. I have haynes manual for the car so I'll look up what to look for.

Kidspace:
I do everything myself. There is about 170k miles on the car. I'll look into the regulator. I was thinking of getting a fuel pressure gauge anyway.

concrete 09-08-2010 08:59 AM

quick question, wouldn't the check engine light show if it were the IAC or Regulator?

ChibiBlackSheep 09-08-2010 09:00 AM

I had no check engine light for my IAC

concrete 09-08-2010 09:04 AM

oh, and I don't know if it is related but I started to get an oil leak after this happened. Not sure where it is coming from, I'm guessing the intake manifold or a head.
I figured I would add that in after reading about the recall that kidspace suggested.

concrete 09-08-2010 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 261178)
I had no check engine light for my IAC

Did you have to replace it or was it cleanable?

ChibiBlackSheep 09-08-2010 09:06 AM

oil leaks are never fun, how's your coolant level??

Oil leak, could hopefully be nothing serious. Coolant leaks usually can lead to a lower intake manifold gasket going bad, and those aren't fun to do.

ChibiBlackSheep 09-08-2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by concrete (Post 261186)
Did you have to replace it or was it cleanable?

I got the ZZP High Velocity Throttle Body and I bought all new sensors for my new throttle body, so I didn't even bother trying to clean it, honestly.