Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

2000 Monte Carlo SS 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 04:51 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default 2000 Monte Carlo SS 3.8

Can a bad or defected EVAP canister be the cause for gas leaking while you pump and also my SS spits/chokes and acts like it wants to shut off if I pump more than a half a tank of gas, what can that be?? Help.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think your on the right track, but typically the symptom of a clogged EVAP canister is the gas pump nozzle constantly shutting off as you try to fill the tank, as if the tank was topped off. I had that problem with one of my '00 SS's until I replaced the canister. It didn't effect engine performance. You might have a problem with the EVAP vent valve, the hose between the canister and the vent valve, or one of the EVAP lines out of the canister. Where is gas leaking from? Near the driver side rear wheel well behind the tire, or forward of the fill cap under the car (between the gas cap and rear of the drivers door)? Can you see what piece it's leaking from?

Old 05-07-2017, 09:40 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
I think your on the right track, but typically the symptom of a clogged EVAP canister is the gas pump nozzle constantly shutting off as you try to fill the tank, as if the tank was topped off. I had that problem with one of my '00 SS's until I replaced the canister. It didn't effect engine performance. You might have a problem with the EVAP vent valve, the hose between the canister and the vent valve, or one of the EVAP lines out of the canister. Where is gas leaking from? Near the driver side rear wheel well behind the tire, or forward of the fill cap under the car (between the gas cap and rear of the drivers door)? Can you see what piece it's leaking from?
That's exactly what's happening, everything that u said is happening. Its leaking from the driver side rear from a small black box that resembles the EVAP canister, I do t think it's the lines it seems it comes out from the black box.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:58 AM
10 Year Member

That's the EVAP vent valve by the rear wheel. If your having trouble filling, the EVAP canister needs to be replaced. The fuel tank needs to be dropped to get to it.

Here's a video about the canister:

Here's a video with a vent valve on a pick-up, but the principles are the same.

Last edited by plumbob; 05-07-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:13 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

That's the EVAP vent valve by the rear wheel. If your having trouble filling, the EVAP canister needs to be replaced. The fuel tank needs to be dropped to get to it.

Here's a video about the canister:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqzZ8imD3Os

Here's a video with a vent valve on a pick-up, but the principles are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slp--D8P0T8
To get to the vent valve or the canister itself? Because I don't need to drop the tank for the canister. I took my car to Auto zone the gave me a print out of error codes, P0446 EVAP canister vent blocked, P0449 EVAP vent solenoid control circuit malfunction.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:28 AM
10 Year Member

I think you have a bad EVAP vent valve. It can also cause the nozzle to shut off. Gas wasn't leaking when my EVAP canister was clogged. The vent valve is easy. Remove the rear wheel for access. Remove the bolt that secures the clamp holding the vent valve to the car, remove the electric connector and hose and take out the vent valve. Reverse procedure to install.

Video:

Old 05-07-2017, 11:17 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I think you have a bad EVAP vent valve. It can also cause the nozzle to shut off. Gas wasn't leaking when my EVAP canister was clogged. The vent valve is easy. Remove the rear wheel for access. Remove the bolt that secures the clamp holding the vent valve to the car, remove the electric connector and hose and take out the vent valve. Reverse procedure to install.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9wRD_Dwt8g
What should my first steps be, to take off canister to see if it's blocked or just replace it or handle the vent valve. I also have power steering problem I need to tackle quickly.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:46 AM
10 Year Member

I would definitely replace the vent valve first. It's a twenty minute $30 fix. The canister is a PIB $110 all day job.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member

BTW...Get the wire harness adapter when you get the new VV if it doesn't come with one. They changed the connector.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:06 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I would definitely replace the vent valve first. It's a twenty minute $30 fix. The canister is a PIB $110 all day job.
someone said the vent valve under the hood next to the motor could also be the problem did you have to replace that piece as well??