Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

1 Stuck Bellhousing Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 1 Stuck Bellhousing Bolt

Hi Everyone! I'm in the process of removing the engine from my 06 3.9 Monte. I've disconnected all the wiring, pulled the hoses, and removed all but one bolt. I've removed 5 of the 6 bellhousing bolts, but the bottom front one that serves as a ground just will not come out. I've tried a few different sockets, and nothing seems to work. Does anyone know of a secret to removing this, ie. only slightly turn each one to not put too much pressure on the remaining ones? Or anything similar? The first 5 came out with no trouble at all, but this last one just won't move. I really don't want to cut it, but right now I'm kind of out of ideas. I have a hoist in place ready to lift right when this finally comes out.
Thanks!

Old 12-08-2015, 06:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Question

Just a thought you might try putting the other bolts back in to release the stress and then heat the stubborn one with a torch, I seen that done a lot with good results.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member

It's the first time I've ever had to disconnect the engine from the transmission, so I wasn't sure if there was a specific way it was supposed to be done..the Haynes manual didn't mention anything other than remove the bolts. Today, I tried putting the others back like you said, but instead, I just went for the problem one without heat after the others were back. I barely put any force on it, and it came out!!!! So I guess the secret is spin all of them first before you start completely removing them. Thanks so much for the idea! It definitely helped! Now on to the project of disassembling it!

Old 12-11-2015, 05:31 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by archimedes
It's the first time I've ever had to disconnect the engine from the transmission, so I wasn't sure if there was a specific way it was supposed to be done..the Haynes manual didn't mention anything other than remove the bolts. Today, I tried putting the others back like you said, but instead, I just went for the problem one without heat after the others were back. I barely put any force on it, and it came out!!!! So I guess the secret is spin all of them first before you start completely removing them. Thanks so much for the idea! It definitely helped! Now on to the project of disassembling it!

Well good, this is something that I have experienced before too!!

Old 12-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

yeah that will be a good practice to get into when working on somthing, just break them all free before completely removing them

Old 12-15-2015, 12:42 AM

being the bolt for the ground wire does something goofy to alum. that causes it to grow to the steel bolt. it's a wonder you didn't have wierd elec. things going on.