Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

06 SS Burning Oil Like Crazy

Old 09-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Default 06 SS Burning Oil Like Crazy

Hi guys, I have a 2006 Monte Carlo SS with 126k miles on it. I changed the oil 1200 miles ago using Royal Purple, and my low oil light has already came on. I checked the dipstick, and it is completely dry. I haven't noticed any leaks at all, and I've checked the engine bay. Is it possible that I have somehow burnt 6 quarts of oil in 1200 miles? I don't beat on it at all, I just drive it back and forth to work 20 minutes each way.
Thanks for your help,
Logan

Old 09-05-2017, 06:40 AM

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes in and helps but for now I would check and make sure its not leaking into the coolant..

Only have heard of coolant leaking into oil and dont even know if its possible for this to happen but yea, maybe something to check..

Other than that I have heard of something wrong with the displacement on demand module going bad and something about bad piston rings.. I dont know, its just something i overheard some time ago..

Good luck and hope someone that knows a little more than me chimes in here..

Old 09-05-2017, 06:30 PM

The next time you hard accelerate after having been at cruise, watch the white cloud you leave behind. That's where the oil is going. it's a function of the DoD. It seems to enrage many LS4 owners, so they get the DoD tuned out.

Myself, when I had a misfire that took out my DoD, I was getting 13 mpg instead of the 21 I normally average. Doing the math showed that it was cheaper to dump in a quart of oil every 5000 miles than spend all that extra money on 91 octane.

Want to only lose a quart every 5000 miles? Stay off the WOT.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This problem is really hit or miss on 'when' it becomes a problem and 'how much' oil you burn because from what I've seen it's all over the charts. I'm at 94k miles, haven't tuned out DoD and I don't burn oil. There's a thread on GMLS4 all about this...

Burning Oil... GM Bulletin....

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 09-06-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:07 PM

Double typo above--that's a quart every 500 miles, not 5000. Still cheaper to replace the oil than to run 13 mpg.

Amd it's hit or miss even on my car, which I know has the problem. I can go a week without seeing a cloud. It makes me think it's an electrical or computer problem, because mechanical issues are rarely intermittent.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:09 PM

My 06 uses more than it should, like a quart every 1000 miles, which from my research is about "normal" for this car, with the DOD. (and ridiculous for any other car)

96z34man interesting you are saying a misfire took out your DOD, I have been having a misfire issue for a long time, and now I wonder about mine, I use to notice it kick on and off on highway and can't say I do anymore (but maybe I just don't notice). https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...when-ac-58865/

Are you saying your mileage was worse with the DOD working, or not working? After you fixed the misfire, are you saying it still does not work?

Old 09-18-2017, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by jayjonbeach
My 06 uses more than it should, like a quart every 1000 miles, which from my research is about "normal" for this car, with the DOD. (and ridiculous for any other car)

96z34man interesting you are saying a misfire took out your DOD, I have been having a misfire issue for a long time, and now I wonder about mine, I use to notice it kick on and off on highway and can't say I do anymore (but maybe I just don't notice). https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...when-ac-58865/

Are you saying your mileage was worse with the DOD working, or not working? After you fixed the misfire, are you saying it still does not work?

The car ran 13 mpg without the DoD, and runs 20-22 with it. It works fine after I repaired the misfire. I apologize for the lack of clarity.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by 96z34man
The car ran 13 mpg without the DoD, and runs 20-22 with it. It works fine after I repaired the misfire. I apologize for the lack of clarity.
Thanks for the reply. Just curious now, what was causing your misfire?

Old 09-19-2017, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by jayjonbeach
Thanks for the reply. Just curious now, what was causing your misfire?
Just a bad plug on cylinder 7. Four different concerns fixed for $13 ($3 for the plug, $10 for some plastic tubing to grab onto the plug and get it out the last few turns, since there's no way to get your hand where it would need to go, hint hint).

Search this Thread