Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Engine sometimes shudders up hills & when AC is on

Old 09-14-2017, 04:45 PM
Default Engine sometimes shudders up hills & when AC is on

06 SS, I have a real good sneaking suspicion what is up here and want to see what you all think.

Now don't shoot me, but this started about 3 years ago, as a minor issue, and it has stayed that way, but, has VERY slowly got more frequent, and finally now is to the point where it can happen just under acceleration with no other load and the engine light finally just came on. (will get it scanned asap)

It started as running just a little rough with the AC on, sometimes, a bit of a stutter/minor misfire type issue, usually just under load, but sometimes even at idle with AC on. Then it started happening even with no AC but going up hills, again very minor, and intermittent to the point in both cases (AC, hills) that it only happened sometimes, and ALL other times car ran like top (except maybe gas mileage, which I suspected was worse than others even b4 this started).

So today, the car still runs and drives fine 98% of the time (I know, I know), 2 days ago I put the AC on and I got the issue and that is when the light came on. I think I procrastinated long enough...lol (likely cost me a lot extra in mileage if it is what I think it is)

I've had it about 7 years, the 4 years before this it had close to zero issues, the worst was a nightmare steering issue around 3 years ago and then just that annoying actuator issue (thanks to the numbskull engineers). Plugs and wires were changed just before I got it.

TIA for your thoughts

Last edited by jayjonbeach; 09-14-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:04 PM

bumping

Old 11-19-2017, 01:42 AM

Did you ever get it scanned? I always assume intermittent concerns are related to electronics, but as a fellow LS4 owner, I'm curious.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question

What kind of Fuel are you running in this vehicle?
Had a similar thing with fuel once and am just curious?

Old 11-20-2017, 03:50 AM

Thanks for the replies. Well 2 days after that post, I got lucky, and the issue died right down again and the engine light went off! Just as well because cash is a big issue ATM, so I did not scan it yet.

It does sound a little like a fuel issue, but I really don't suspect it because as I say 98% of the time she runs like a top, so no water in the lines, and though lower octane not really having those kinds of symptoms (though I won't count it out, either....). So being the cheap bugger that I am, my poor baby just gets the "bronze" gas, which up here in the cold north I think is 91 typically IIRC.

How was your car acting when you had the fuel issue?

Search this Thread