Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): '06 Charging issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 07:16 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default '06 Charging issue

So last night on the drive home, about 25 miles, "Service Battery Charging system" or something to that effect came on, and battery light. Drove home, it was late and I was exhausted. Made it and car restarted fine, lights etc all fine. I had heard a high pitched whine that increased with engine speed for a day or two, so I suspect the drive belt may need to be replaced, 150K miles and not sure if it was ever replaced. So, for this belt tensioner tool EN-47988, is there any other way? I'll check with Autozone and see if they have it available to rent if not....thanks guys! I'm also thinking of just heading to the local DIY shop and being ready in case the alternator is the actual issue.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:38 AM

You shouldn't need a special tool . Most GM tensioners have either a square slot for a 3/8 ratchet or a nut that you can put a 15 mm wrench or socket on to remove the belt .I would guess your 06-07 is the same. I would also suggest that you spin the alternator pulley and listen for noise's like a bad bearing. Good luck

Old 05-04-2018, 07:40 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
You shouldn't need a special tool . Most GM tensioners have either a square slot for a 3/8 ratchet or a nut that you can put a 15 mm wrench or socket on to remove the belt .I would guess your 06-07 is the same. I would also suggest that you spin the alternator pulley and listen for noise's like a bad bearing. Good luck
Thanks Jeff, yeah was just reading over the Chilton's. They claim the tool is needed due to clearance issues, which wouldn't surprise me.....I'll see and update here!

Old 05-04-2018, 07:52 AM

The parts store will have the correct tool to borrow. It's a 3 foot flat bar with a slot that holds socket or square drive adapter. Quick note if there isn't a belt diagram under the hood take a picture of the routing to save a hassle later.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:55 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jeffs02rwdSS
The parts store will have the correct tool to borrow. It's a 3 foot flat bar with a slot that holds socket or square drive adapter. Quick note if there isn't a belt diagram under the hood take a picture of the routing to save a hassle later.
man, that's a great tip! Thanks!

Old 05-04-2018, 09:20 AM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Well hell. Go out to car, starts right up. No lights, no warnings. Probably will come back, so out for a test drive I go...

Old 05-04-2018, 09:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would check the connections at the alternator, check the grounds for the battery, and just keep an eye on your voltage. It does sound like an alternator going out.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

There is a special tool to remove the belt for the 5.3s in the SS's. A normal belt removal tool that most are familiar with will not work due to the aforementioned clearance issues. I had a squeaking belt and ran into the same problem on my 06 SS. I tried every way under the sun and moon to jimmy my standard belt removal tool in there but no joy.
I however use to work for local gm dealer back in the day and stopped by and borrowed theirs and 10 min later a new goodyear belt was on and I was on my way.
Autozone or advance may have one to loan I never checked myself.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:02 PM
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Autozone had the tool -cheapest I've found online is $75:

Stallion ST-176 Serpentine Belt Tension Unloader EN-47988 Alt.

Free > $75 lol

Old 05-04-2018, 07:56 PM

Get the narrowest crowbar you can find. Take off the passenger side wheel and the liner behind it. Then put the crowbar on top of the tensioner and push down.

This is a lot of effort, but $10 is a whole lot cheaper than $75.