Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

- Under the Hood Library + More Infor -

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default - Under the Hood Library + More Infor -

[align=center]The Under the Hood Library:[/align][align=center][/align][/align][ul]>

[/align]ATV Factory Tour

[/align][align=center][/align]>

[/align]Could anti-lock brakes detect a flat?

[/align]Do race cars use gasoline like normal cars do, or do they use something else?

[/align]How Anti-Lock Brakes Work

[/align]How Automatic Transmissions Work

[/align]How Automobile Ignition Systems Work

[/align]How Automobiles Work

[/align]How Brakes Work

[/align]How Camshafts Work

[/align]How can I measure the drag on a car?

[/align]How Car Computers Work

[/align]How Car Cooling Systems Work

[/align]How Car Engines Work

[/align]How Car Steering Works

[/align]How Car Suspensions Work

[/align]How Cars Work

[/align]How Catalytic Converters Work

[/align]How Champ Cars Work

[/align]How Clutches Work

[/align]How CVTs Work

[/align]How Diesel Engines Work

[/align]How Diesel Two-Stroke Engines Work

[/align][link

Old 08-19-2007, 06:07 AM
Default RE: - Under the Hood Library - How it Works -

MCF Members, please let me know `if the above post helped ?
Also, please post your subjects/experiences/sites that will help novice,
learning member's like myself.
I don't want to be wasting MCF `Space : )

Old 08-19-2007, 07:55 AM

How do the automobile ignition keys with chips embedded in them work? [/align]

Many cars manufactured by GM come with a security feature called the PASS-Key theft deterrent system. You can tell if a car has this feature by looking at the ignition key -- the key's shaft has a small black module embedded in it with contacts on either side of the key. It is common to assume that there is some sort of chip or computer embedded in the key.
It turns out the system is a lot simpler than that, but still effective. What is embedded in the key is one precision resistor. When you insert the key in the ignition, the resistor becomes part of a simple circuit involving three other resistors. If the key does not have a resistor or if the resistor has the wrong value, the circuit disables part of the car's electrical system to prevent the car from starting.
So why is this system using something as mundane as a single resistor rather than some sort of sophisticated embedded computer? There are probably two reasons: 1) manufacturing cost, and 2) reliability. The latter is probably a very big part of the equation. Think about everything a key goes through -- it's typically riding in a pocket full of coins, getting thrown on the table, opening bottles, and so on. Keys have to be remarkably durable, they have to last the life of the car, and they must always work. If a system that depends on a single resistor can do a good job, then that's a good system to use because there is less that can go wrong.
Why have the resistor at all? Don't the teeth on the key provide protection against theft? The resistor is simply adding a layer of difficulty to duplicating the key. It is fairly easy for a professional car thief to pick a lock or forge a key. By adding a component that is difficult to duplicate, you can at least slow the criminals down.
These links will help you learn more:

[ul][*][align=center]How Automobile Ignition Systems Work[/align][*][align=center]How Lock Picking Works[/align][*][align=center]How Car Alarms Work[/align][*][align=center]Patent #4296402: Vehicle anti-theft device[/align][/ul][/align]

Old 08-19-2007, 09:00 AM

my lord space! you were busy LOL

Old 08-19-2007, 09:09 AM

ORIGINAL: mickey

my lord space! you were busy LOL

Mod `Mickey, I know I've been feeding my brain so much
information it's ready to explode [&:]
I go back to zchool 2-morrow [X(]
Just gett'in ready...
I hope the Under Hood Library helped you
and
MCF Members.
Wish You a `Happy,
~ Peace ~
`Space

Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 AM

How Cars Work
[align=center][/align]

The car is one of the most fascinating devices that a person can own. Cars are also one of the most pervasive devices, with a typical American family owning two cars.
[align=center][/align]
A car contains dozens of different technologies. Everything from the engine to the tires is its own special universe of design and engineering. Therefore, we have dozens of different articles at HowStuffWorks that explain all the intricacies of our cars. Here are some of the highlights.
Engines
[ul][*][align=center]How Car Engines Work[/align][*][align=center]How Diesel Engines Work[/align][*][align=center]HowStuffWorks Engines Page[/align][/ul][align=center][/align][align=center]Transmissions [/align][ul][*][align=center]How Manual Transmissions Work[/align][*][align=center]How Clutches Work[/align][*][align=center]How Automatic Transmissions Work[/align][*][align=center]How Torque Converters Work[/align][/ul][align=center]Drive Train [/align][ul][*][align=center]How Brakes Work[/align][*][align=center]How Differentials Work[/align][*][align=center]How Tires Work[/align][*][align=center]How Four Wheel Drive Works[/align][/ul][align=center]Accessories [/align][ul][*][align=center]How Convertibles Work[/align][*][align=center]How Cruise Control Systems Work[/align][*][align=center]How Fuel Gauges Work[/align][*][align=center]How Odometers Work[/align][*][align=center]How Power Door Locks Work[/align][*][align=center]How Power Windows Work[/align][*][align=center]How Remote Entry Works[/align][*][align=center]How Turbochargers Work[/align][*][align=center]How Turn Signals Work[/align][*][align=center]How Windshield Wipers Work[/align][/ul]

Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 AM

[align=center]

Found the below on

I thought some member's would find some ofthe information/topic's[/align]helpful..[/align][:-][/align]How To Guides[/align]Our How-To guides provide great technical information and step-by-step tutorials on topics including paint chip repair, choosing spark plugs, tuning a carburetor, and even how to build your own exhaust system. Take a look at the How to guides below and start car crafting like a pro. [/align][/align]
How To Articles

Make Your A-Body Hook - GM A-Body Suspension From DMR
Make That Big Car Hook With A GM A-Body Suspension. more[/align]

[/align]

Pick the Right Plug For Power
Don't get it wrong! Know something about reach and heat range when deciding on the right spark plug to use for your car! more[/align]

[/align]

Add Horsepower with a Holley HP Main-Body Swap
More airflow out of the same-size carb is easy when you swap perform a Holley HP Main-Body Swap. more[/align]

[/align]

How to Spot Bad Body Work
Don't get worked by that guy selling his nightmare. You'll know your rust and Bondo enemy after we show you what problem areas to look for. more[/align]

[/align]

[URL=http://www.carcraft.com/howto/ccrp_0603_opti_spark_tune_up/index.html][b][color=#ec6900][size=

Old 11-29-2007, 03:00 PM

space how can u have that much time! i barely have time for work and school much less my friends and the net?

Old 11-29-2007, 04:12 PM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: kweef

space how can u have that much time! i barely have time for work and school much less my friends and the net?
[/align][align=center]Hi `Jeremy,[/align][align=center]My grandfather taught me `Time Management.[/align][align=center]"To Master your Time, is to Master your `Life " : )[/align][align=center]I take three of myclasses online,[/align][align=center]the Prof's don't care `if you are in class or not : ([/align][align=center](Save fuels/time: )[/align][align=center]I work 7 nights @ week, plus 2 p/t `jobs that[/align][align=center]I can adjust time : ) It works 4 `me....[/align][align=center]My friends "The Beach Bum's" hang @ my [/align][align=center]houseboat, & we do ourp/t `jobs 2-gether : )[/align][align=center]I really try to get the most outa each day...[/align][align=center]The MCF is my net family, & it's `free : )[/align][align=center]And I learn something everyday here : )[/align][align=center]Some Good, some bad, but mostly good : )[/align][align=center]There are some super Time Management Course's[/align][align=center]that are great, and some valuable infor on the Web.[/align][align=center]to help plan out your `time...[/align][align=center]EnJoy your Time = `Life.[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 11-29-2007, 04:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

So much INFORMATION!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1368/53B853364ED24E18813B0562F9F7F6EA.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: - Under the Hood Library + More Infor -