Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

04 SS Key fob quit working

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Default 04 SS Key fob quit working

Can someone please help. About two weeks ago the key fob started having a very limited distance, I assumed it was the battery so I replaced it. I check the signal thing at the battery kiosk and the low battery was putting out a signal. the low battery wouldn't work unless I held the fob by the trunk release button. I swapped the batteries and now the fob doesn't work at all, I tried the spare and that one doesn't work either.

I've tried a number of programming scenarios that I've read online and none of it works. I haven't been back to a store to see if the signal sensor will sense a signal to see if the fob are or aren't working.

i disconnected the battery hoping the cars BCM would reset or something and that didn't work.

Any thoughts??? could it be a lose ground?

Is there a separate module that crapped out?

I love her but she may have to go soon If I cant fix her.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:50 PM

There is a key fob receiver unit or key fob receiver box whatever you wanna call it that most likely is bad. I have had the same problem. They can be expensive but what I did was just go to a junkyard and got two of them. Just look for an 04 impala or pontiac or monte carlo of the same year and get that receiver unit you need. For my car it was up under the back window tray. As in the tray where the speakers are. Good thing about a junkyard car is you don't have to worry about breaking stuff to get to what you need. I wanna say I put the back seats down and pulled stuff out of the way to get to it rather than tearing all the carpet off the tray by coming from the top and taking the tray apart inside. You may have to reprogram the receiver unit to match the code your key fob sends out but if you are handy with what you work on then this is a relatively easy fix. Think I paid maybe 10 dollars for the part. I have a 98 Monte Carlo btw so yours could be a little bit different but I doubt it.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:59 PM

Thank you for this information ... Mine stopped working too, I've had to use my remote start fob to lock and unlock the car.I'll stop at one of my yards

Old 08-26-2013, 10:51 AM

It’s not on the rear deck on the 04's, the only thing that is back there isthe amp and speakers. I checked the antenna connection at the rear window anddown by the kick panel assuming that one of the great GM engineers would thinkusing that antenna was a good idea.I saw a thread somewhere that claimed the antennaswere the same.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Default wiring gremlin

I just got done with replacing the stepper motor for the Speedo and decided to hunt down the module..found it hiding under the dash trim by the windshield..unplugged it..checked it out and didn't see anything blown. put it back in and the fobs started working..buttoned the car back up and it's back to not , it must be a loose wire some where.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20130908_173412.jpg (82.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 AM

Which side did you find it on? Is it under the cowl ?
Thank you

Old 09-09-2013, 05:33 PM

I'm not sure what to call it, it's the second part of the dash pad that is by the windshield, the box in under the pad about a inch to the left of the sensor.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20130908_173351.jpg (83.1 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-12-2013, 05:49 AM

Thanks for the posts on this! I tried to have a new fob programmed (thinking the old one was bad), but that didn't work either. The locksmith guy tried both his laptop/OBD connection, and through the radio, and neither worked. There's a bunch of aftermarket car stereo wiring in the car (minus the speakers of course...courtesy of the previous owner), so the we assumed that there may be a wiring issue. But I will add this to the list of possible reasons.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:55 PM

my key fob is not working also, is there any new update to either of youre outcomes?
my radio unit is also not working (just replaced the BCM) the radio is still locked, can it be related to the radio's head unit.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

@lemoncar - First did you get the BCM programmed after changing it? If not, that will cause a host of problems (it needs your VIN and vehicle options). To my knowledge, the BCM can only be programmed with a GM Tech II. The radio also can only be brought out of Theft Lock with a Tech II.
If you BCM has not been properly programmed, I would not try to troubleshoot the keyless entry until the BCM is resolved.

Quick Reply: 04 SS Key fob quit working