Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

04' Monte SS oil pan gasket tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 11:02 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 04' Monte SS oil pan gasket tricks?

I need to replace my Power steering rack and the oil pan looks juicy as well. Crappy part is I just had the engine out about a year ago and re-sealed everything including the oil pan gasket. I used GM's own service info. then and it said NOTHING about using any RTV silicone other than the 4 dabs of it on the timing cover and opposite side of the oil pan. Now that I look at that same GM service info., it says to use a gasket AND RTV on both sides of that gasket (the entire gasket now.)

So anyways is there a trick to getting the oil pan out? I don't have a hoist and it looks like the engine has to be raised and supported to get the oil pan in and out. I was thinking about using a 4X4 block of wood between the fenders and maybe a chain to hold it up while acessing the oil pan.

Any ideas to make it easier on this one?? Oh yeah the rear subframe bolts have to come out to lower the rear subframe to get the PS rack out so maybe with the rack gone the oil pan gasket job may be easier.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Don't know of any tricks, but you will need a hoist or an engine support bar or something made up like one to attached to the lifting hooks of the engine to support it while you drop the subframe. You will need to unbolt the steering rack and supported it with the zip ties and unclip the trans cooler lines and wiring harnesses from the sub frame since they're attached to it. Obviously you will need to unbolt the lower engine mount and Trans mount.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Everything plumbob said is correct. No easy way to remove the oil pan, the engine needs supported, the sub frame needs dropped, then you can remove the oil pan

Old 11-19-2015, 03:18 PM

I did it without dropping the subframe. I used a hoist to support the motor after removing the mounts. It was a total b!t@h, but I got it done. NO easy way.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:40 AM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 04' Monte Oil Pan gasket

Yeah why GM changed/altered their own factory service info. to first NOT use RTV then to use it is beyond me on an 11 year-old vehicle. At least with me doing the P/S rack at the same time I can get that out of the way and see if it makes the oil pan gasket easier.

Thanks for the help guys!