Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

'03 Monte SS Very Sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Default '03 Monte SS Very Sluggish

Inoticed for the pastcouple weeks my '03 SS seems to be running sluggish and lacks the usual power and acceleration, and today it seemed even worse still and also seems to miss very slightly, and no check engine light or anything. Car also seems to be making a sort of faint air rushing noise on acceleration. Car has 80K and never had a tune up but this problem came on too suddenly to seem like a tune up issue. Anyone have a similar problem or any commonthings to look atfor this, or could it just be 1 of 100 different things? I've heard a blocked catcan cause this?

Old 01-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Default RE: '03 Monte SS Very Sluggish

[align=center]Hello Howard, & Welcome to the MCF[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I would have your Cat checked, and also get a tune `up.[/align][align=center]80K miles is a good miles, but I think your Monte would[/align][align=center]appreciate some love & attention : )[/align][align=center]Are you afirst owner ?[/align][align=center]When is the last time you checked the air filter ?[/align][align=center]Your fuel intake could use some Sea Foam ?[/align][align=center]Plugs/wires ? Will you do the work yourself, or take it[/align][align=center]to a garage ? I would get some estimates.[/align][align=center]I'm sure our expert members will post their suggestions[/align][align=center]on your problems. Please be patience...[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Please use the MCF Search Engine for topic's of interest,[/align][align=center]and post what questions that you can not locate.[/align][align=center]I hope that you post pic's of your Monte in the MCF Gallery.[/align][align=center]Look forward to your future posts, & good luck on[/align][align=center]locating/solving your Monte'sproblem.[/align][align=center]Safe/Happy miles 2 you.[/align][align=center]`Space[/align]

Old 01-05-2008, 05:47 PM

what he said.
Mine was the same way and they clim the lights will come one etc... but mine never did. it as slugish, and hard to get peed on it it seemed like it was towing another car around with it all the time .

I had to hit passing gear just to get up to speed on the roads around the house.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:26 PM

could be a clogged cat. Do you have a noticable decrease in fuel mileage? the rushing air sound could also mean a vaccum leak somewhere.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:32 AM

Thanks for the replies, I also noticed tonight the car misses under load (accelerating uphill) and also the transseems to wind out in lower gears. I wonder if these are all symptoms of a bad cat?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:48 AM

Air Filter.
My car had 68,000 on it when I bought it and I couldn't believe how bad it was running.
The Air Filter looked like somebody painted one side with tar.
This car has new life.
I also did Plug Wires and Plugs.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes to the bad cat. You have all the symptoms, and at 80K it's still under warranty (until 100K). Go to your dealer and have them do a pressure check because you KNOW your cat' is clogged. If you don't trust your dealer, any ASE shop can do it, and you can get re-imbursed for the cost, about $300-320 installed

Old 01-06-2008, 09:34 AM

<<< Yes to the bad cat. You have all the symptoms, and at 80K it's still under warranty (until 100K). >>>

Really? That's great! I thought someone else mentioned the cat was only covered to 8 yrs. or 80K and the car just hit 80500 this weekend.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:07 PM

they did mine with no charge to me. even for it beign that clos ei would go raise holly hell in the shop till they did it. theses cars have had this issue since they were done so here is plenty of history on it

Old 01-07-2008, 12:46 PM

Well my local Chevy dealer just confirmed it was a bad cat, and they also said they were not going to cover it under warranty because the car had just under 81K and they wanted about $750.00 with labor.

After a couple phone calls up and back and me complaining, they finally said they would warranty the entire cost of the part and do it for $175.00 labor.

Quick Reply: '03 Monte SS Very Sluggish