Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

02 Monte Carlo wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Default 02 Monte Carlo wont start

Ok, so I go to start my Monte Carlo one day But when I turned the key, nothing. I think, dead battery. But you won't be able to use the radio or horn right? My battery and security lights come on when i put it on accessory and all my windows and lights work my radio even works as well. My locks do not but everything else does. So if that is not it I am thinking, bad starter? I've replaced the starter twice now and even the battery and it still won't even try to turn over. After i replaced the starter we tried jumping it off the solenoid and it started and then died multiple times. It makes a clicking noise but I have to listen really hard. I don't know what else to do! I've been told its so many things. I'm a full-time college student and i work full-time as well. so not having a car is making my life even harder. So any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by cdelacruz192; 12-06-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It sounds like you may be having a problem with the Passlock (security) system. Try this:

Turn the key to the ON position and leave it there for 11 minutes
Turn the key to the OFF position and leave it there for 10 seconds

Repeat the above 2 more times for a total of 3 ON/OFF cycles.
Now try to start the car.

It may have just been a glitch, or this may be a sign of future problems with the Passlock system. The most common failure reported seems to be the ignition switch.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM

Could it be the bcm?? because my dome lights don't work when it does it and neither do my door locks but it only shuts down everyonce and a while it started at 10 yesterday morning and we i got there at 12 it wouldn't and it started again this morning as well

Old 12-06-2012, 01:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I would take the battery or the alt to get tested.

It can be a bad battery, but other stuff still work. You need a certain amount of amps (CCA, or cold cranking amps) to start a car.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:21 PM

Sounds like a BCM. BCM commands the starter to crank and also passes the security info along to allow it to continue running.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I would take the battery or the alt to get tested.

It can be a bad battery, but other stuff still work. You need a certain amount of amps (CCA, or cold cranking amps) to start a car.

Already bought a new battery!! And 2 new starters!!

Old 12-07-2012, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by aussiek2000
Sounds like a BCM. BCM commands the starter to crank and also passes the security info along to allow it to continue running.

I'm buying a remanufactured one today. Thank you so much for ur help!!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:36 PM

How are you going to program it?

Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 AM

Sounds like the security system is malfuctioning or if you have an after market security system that you know off or dont know of look for a little box under the dash should have a red button on it press it for 15sec and try to start it (this is only applicable to and aftermarket alarm) but it does sound like the pass lock system, because you stated it would start click and die which would be the pcm shutting the car off, if it was the battery or alternator it wouldn't continue to start and die if it would even start at all plus you wouldn't have power at all and definitly not power to certain items in the car. Sorry for what seems as a confusing answer but I hope it helps

Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 PM

It's at a dealership right now when I dropped it off he said it might be something like that!! I Got mu car from an auction and they wired everything wrong!! i already took out the alarm which they had wired thru stuff and to stuff it shouldn't have been but I'm just ready for my baby to be fixed!!

Quick Reply: 02 Monte Carlo wont start