Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

01 Monte Carlo SS - Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 02:29 PM

I don't have any way of lifting from the top. All I have is jack stands and a floor jack and some blocks of wood. I am not following when you say 'Lower the engine cradle instead'

Old 07-22-2016, 02:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If using a jack, support the engine under the oil pan. After removing the dog bones and other previously mentioned items remove the nuts that attach the mounts to the engine cradle (AKA-sub frame) then start loosening the 4 bolts that attach the cradle to the body at each corner, a little bit at a time. Be careful because now the only thing supporting the engine is the jack. A second jack under the transmission would probably be helpful. I've only done the replacement with a engine support bar.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:46 PM

so its easier with an engine hoist? Remind me what are dog bones?

if supported with the hoist.. it works better with just lowering the sub frame?

Old 07-22-2016, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member

Yes, would be easier with a hoist. Then you can use a floor jack or two to support and lower the engine cradle.
Dog bones are the top engine mounts (2) that attach the engine to the radiator support (top of radiator).

Old 07-22-2016, 02:57 PM

with the hoist do I need to have more than one floor jack.

Will using the host care for both the engine and transmission?

The bones are removed so you can lift the engine a little or rock it right?

Old 07-22-2016, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member

One jack should be fine. 3 or 4 jack stands to rest the engine cradle on would be helpful.

Yes, hoist will support engine and trans.

Yes on the bones. You will need to jostle the engine around a bit.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:26 AM

So I may be just kicking myself in the A$$ .... I ended having to buy an engine hoist as I could not find one to borrow/rent. I got the bottom mount unbolted and then just noticed this issue on the top where the outer most dog bone attaches to the engine.....

I am now wondering where I get that part and if possibly the $575 they quoted me was for this sole repair.....

This picture does not tell much but the lower engine mount does not look like mush yet.

Now I ponder if I should even attempt to remove it or not...

Last edited by spankurmonkey; 07-24-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:40 AM

Well I went ahead and changed the front anyways... went quicker than I thought...

However, I didn't locktite the nuts and now thinking I should have.

Also, the old mount must have been leaking on one side as it was pretty wet when I removed it and inspected it.

onto the transmission mount now......

Old 07-24-2016, 09:55 AM
10 Year Member

Here's a link to the bracket on eBay stick with OEM, it's worth the few extra bucks:

gm 24506488 | eBay

The other option is the junk yard for $20.

A bit hard to tell from the photo but that lower mount looks ruptured to me. The oil around it is probably the hydraulic fluid that was in it. The rocking of the engine due to the ruptured mount probably put stress on the bracket and broke it.

Don't know how much you paid for the hoist or if you can still return it, but an engine support bar might be cheaper, easier to use, and easier to store. Here's the one I have:

OTC 1725 engine support bar | eBay

There's other models out there, but the kind with third leg is better to stabilize the engine.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:02 AM

So that top mount.... how easily does that come off?

tomorrow the car is going into the GM dealer to have the upper and lower intake fixed as there is a coolant leak.

I am thinking they will have to remove it anyways but not sure what they will charge me for that part.

The intake work is going to be over $700 so I need to shave money where I can.... When they looked at it last Wednesday the bill would have been $3500 for all of the issues.... Upper and Lower Intake, EGR valve, O2 sensor, right outer tie rod end, left front wheel hub assembly, motor mounts and fuel pump unit.

I have since replaced the EGR (O2 is no longer throwing an error code), Right Outer Tie Rod End, Left Engine Mount.

I plan on doing the transmission mount and left front hub assembly today.

The fuel item is no longer an issue... it was a bad read on the fuel level.