MCF Website Problems & Issues This area is for problems or suggestions relating specifically to the MCF site, not the car.

No Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Definitely have the battery and alternator checked, but since the power suddenly came back then went away again I would be taking a close look at the battery cable connections and check for excessive resistance in the cables themselves.

If you didn't have this problem prior to taking it in for tranny work why didn't you take it back and have them fix it?

Originally Posted by JC Colon`
OK first. From what you have inscribed, I think your alternator is shot. Even If you have a bad battery, when the car is running the alternator provides power for the car. If the motor starts dying, lights dimming and battery light comes on, you have been driving the car on battery power, which does not last long.
Easy test, start the car and then pull the negative cable off the battery. If your alternator is good the car will continue to run. If the alternator is bad the car will run funny for a bit then die or die as some as you disconnect the battery!
NO!!!!! On older vehicles this 'test' may work, but on later model cars you run a very high risk of zapping the computer or popping the diodes in the alternator.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

[/QUOTE] NO!!!!![/B] On older vehicles this 'test' may work, but on later model cars you run a very high risk of zapping the computer or popping the diodes in the alternator.[/QUOTE]

Wow, i did not know this. I do have a Battery/Alternator tester that I use for this. The last car I tested as stated above was an 88 IRoc. This is good to know and I hope he didn't try it.
Checking the battery connections is a good idea. His problem has to be in the charging system.
As 03SSLE said, check all your battery connections and chases and engine grounds.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:37 PM

Went to auto zone yesterday and got my battery charged/tested. It is still good, however being the amateur i am, i didnt get my alternator checked. Bought a new one, put it on, car worked (radio still didnt come on). I turned the car off and ran Inside for a moment. I get back outside and once again everything is dead. So i guess either they gave me a bad alternator (its rebuilt) or theres another issue.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

Is your security light flashing at you?

Old 04-19-2014, 10:54 PM

Right now nothing is flashing. I cant get anything inside the car to come on. May as well still have the battery out.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

How old is your current battery?
They generally only last around 3 yrs...5 if... your lucky....

Battery can show a good charge.... Its called a dead charge....

If its completely dead I highly recommend you replace the battery...
I recently had pretty much the same scenario ..(but my radio works)

I had the alt checked... (Its a high output alt) it checked fine...

Battery checked... showed it had a dead charge on it...
I vote for anew battery.
I use an 850 CCA... with 1080 cranking amps Got mine from Oreilys ofr $125.00 and a 3 year variable warranty... (Prorated)

I also recommend taking it back to the trans shop for the radio issue!

Old 04-20-2014, 02:11 PM

My battery has gone dead on me twice within a couple days so that may be it. I thought it was the alternator draining it. Im gonna check my ground wires (if i can find em) and make sure theyre not corroded. Also getting the alternator checked at auto zone.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:12 PM

If one of those things doesnt fix it, im gonna try another battery. I dont know how old the battery is. It was in the car when i bought it last year. It looks a bit aged though.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:33 PM

I should also mention that the battery has died 3 times in 4 days. At the shop before i picked it up, at the car wash (i got a jump/boost), when i made it home from the car wash (not even 5 minutes later), and last night after auto zone had already charged it. It lasted maybe 3 minutes. Does that sound like a dead charge?

Old 04-20-2014, 03:01 PM

I cant get the car back to the transmission shop unless it gets towed. The car wont stay on longer than a few minutes

Quick Reply: No Radio